Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Morning,

No projects for a couple of months but something steel has come along of a fairly modern but agreeable nature that will require disc brakes methinks. It has the option for V but........

I have shimano slx and avid elixir on my 29ers but they were new sets and fairly simple to set up.. . I'm not racing or going mental on it, but it would be for Mayhem for the boy next year so needs to stop.

What should i go with on a 26" wheeled hardtail?
Are cable operated worth considering or stick to hydraulic?
I have a shimano bleed kit. Will this fit just shimano?
What rotor size will do?

Looking to buy used if reasonable. No boutique suggestions please. This sort of thing ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141791500634? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Brands? promax etc?

Thanks THM

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

After a brief fitting of Shimano mechanicals, I wouldn't reccommend them. They come close, but I found them difficult to keep feeling good and working well. The lever feel for the rear was not good whatever I did. Even with M system cables. If you really want mechanicals I wouldn't consider less than BB7s.

I have fitted m395s from CRC. These are pretty good for the price. Check the hose lengths though since you are tall!

If you need a stop gap solution (sorry), I have some cheap and cheerful mechanicals in the FS section.

Just get deores.
They are cheap, they work, easy to set up, the pads are widely available (and probably the same as your SLX) and the fluid is easy to work with.

If you are going the disc route, Shimano Deore hydraulic will be good enough as will 160mm discs. Bear in mind there are two different ways to attach discs to hubs.

As matt says the pads are widely available and the fluid better to work with.

The ones you've linked to will do the job fine. I think I've got one of those on the front.

TBH, unless you have a very, very specific and pressing need to move away from shimano (weight, bling, fan of CNC, sponsorship, commonality with a fleet of bikes or something) there really isn't very much that comes close.
There will almost always be a downside to anything else compared to a shimano at the same price. (made more noticeable thanks to the low current prices of shimano!)

Re:

Agree with all the above. No point going cable when hydraulic can be had for the price they can, 160mm will be fine and Shimano are great.

Actually got a set of the current Deore's I might let go if you're interested. ;)

Ok so shimano then based on this. Thanks guys.

Mr Landers you have a PM.

Back