Plastic sheds are they worth it ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a 8 x 6 plastic shed for storing 4 of my bikes, has anybody got one that they can recommened. Thought it would make an alternative to some of the cheaper wooden sheds which are essentially fence panels.

I move quite a lot through work so ideally something that comes apart quite easily.

A pal of mine got horrible condensation problems on the inside of his. Definitely you get what you pay for with wooden ones. The cheap ones which cost less than the timber are dreadfully flimsy.

All the plastic ones I've seen have either fallen apart after 3 or 4 years weathering, or been broken into.

I wouldn't think semi regular dismantling would help with durability either.

Easy enough to move an 8x6 shed whole or use ironmongery to make it bolt together. I would have thought a well vented plastic shed would be fine, especially with a little insulation.

Can't beat wood though.

Re:

I've not got one, but people that have them either love them or find they don't last.

They do need to be built properly and have a good base, which seems to be where many fail as they are just slammed up as they are plastic. Get a properly vented on too.

Still similar wodden ones roofs deteriorate, overlap/feather edge are crap and warp need regular looking after. Shiplap are much better.

You van break into either as you would expect. Mainly as you can break into a house and they have decent locked doors and windows.

Re:

I had a French made one for about 14 years. When in England I stored garden tools in it no probs. In Spain I kept flammable stuff like paint and thinners in it. I found it very easy to dismantle and move. A combination of Sun and very high winds killed it in the end.

I never considered it secure enough for bikes but check with your Insurance company would be my advice.

Re:

How about a small shipping container instead? Just a thought :oops: :facepalm:

I'll get my coat :roll:

Re:

I was planning on keeping the Kids bike and my low end workhorses nothing special, which would free up space in my main/proper shed for the special stuff. My insurance states they have to be shackled to an immovable object.

The plastic one i saw has a 10 year guarantee, it will go right against a wall and i wont be able to get round the back so a low maintenance plastic one appeals.

Back