1x10 conversion

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So after trying 2x9 and not getting on with it, I'm going for what I originally aimed at.
The only thing left for me to work out, is which chainring to go for.
Currently, my shopping /wishlist is:

Shimano zee rh 10spd shifter
Xt 10spd cassette 11-36t
Shimano zee clutched rear mech, short cage
SRAM quick link 10spd chain

Just need myself a narrow /wide chainring (104 bcd, 4 bolt)....

Looking for something decent, but not pricey/blingy

What say yee?

Re:

What did you not like about 2x9? I was thinking about trying this myself, instead of 3x8, for no good reason really other than modernity and it being cheaper than 1x10 (which I do like the idea of but not the price!).

Re:

Superstar Components would be good place to start your search for a N / W chainring I think. Failing that CRC have a good choice including Hope and Raceface.

Re:

Well, I wanted to ditch the front mech on my fsr coz its a pig to set up. So 2x9 doesn't really eliminate the problem. Plus I like the simplicity and the technology of the clutch mech together with narrow/wide chainring which mitigates the need for a chain tensioner (at least for the way I ride), it is expensive, but I'm shifting a load of gear to fund it all :)

Get a good quality n/w ring, i had a superstar and a mate had an on one both were really noisey and soon got shelved for better quality items.

Absolute black seems to be a good price/ quality compromise.

Re:

There is a US Ebay seller shifting race face n/w rings shipped to uk for £30. There is also someone on eBay UK with anodised n/w rings for around £17 each as I recall

just recieved the following in post today (courtesy of a link Shinobi provided :) ):

RaceFace n/w 32t ring
SLX 10spd shifter
Zee clutched rear mech (short cage)

looking forward to slapping this all on soon....
just need cassette and chain :)

Whats the capacity on the Zee SS rear mech these days, and whats the chain growth like on an FSR?

Potentially very expensive if you get it wrong!

mattr":1wzsbjc9 said:
Whats the capacity on the Zee SS rear mech these days, and whats the chain growth like on an FSR?

Potentially very expensive if you get it wrong!

chain growth - as in chain slap? (when compressed?)
it certainly does slap around when im bouncing down a hill.
i'll be looking into a suitable chain length once i get my cassette sorted - not sure if i need 11-32 or 11-36...???

No, chain growth, how much does the measurement from Bottom bracket centre to hub centre change during the suspension travel? 1cm, 2cm? If its a lot, you nicely set up "correct" chain length could suddenly get too short at full travel, and rip your rear mech off (or do worse). SS mechs are (nominally) least tolerant to incorrect/changing chain length, 1x makes it worse.
FWIW my bike has around 9mm growth, so i don't really need to worry about it. My worst experience was setting up a customers bike which seemed to have near enough 5 cm growth (horrible high single pivot thing) was almost impossible to get the right length chain that would a) work in all gears and b) work in all gears with the suspension at full travel.

And i forgot that 10 speed only goes to 36, Zee SS rear mech should have plenty of capacity to cover that, unless you get a range extender (40 or 42 tooth sprocket) and modify your cassette.

And what size cassette and chainring you choose is completely up to you! (and where you live!)

Back