Anyone used the new XT 1x11?

hopper22

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thinking of taking the plunge and going for a 1 by set up, not seen many reviews for the new XT, wondered if anyone here has any experience of it.

Cheers
Hopper.

Road bikes are getting as little as 1000-2000 miles or so from 11 speed chains, if forum chatter elsewhere is right.
I'd shudder to imagine how pitifully short 11 speed would be off-road, bearing in mind that I could trash a 7 or 8 speed in 500 miles of mud in the winter.. :shock:

Re:

I have it :) Only done 70 odd km but so far so good. The I spec mount is very neat and the shift is very nice and short, positive too. The brakes are an aesthetic improvement imo over the excellent previous model but feel and stopping power remain the same. The cranks are nicely made and a bargain and the rear mech is also very nice. The only deviation from full M8000 is a One Up Traction chainring which is a 32t oval ring, at the time there was a problem getting the XT rings and I had wanted to try an oval ring, since then I've saw the proper XT rings and they are lovely.

Previous to this I was using 1X10 XT and I think that there is a significant improvement in finish and function and this one goes up to 11, what more could you want.

Fitted HERE

I have it. Started by trying the M8000 GS mech on my 1x10 - worked even better than the Zee FR mech when paired with the 11-40 at the back. Then got the bar mount shifter as I'm running Hope Tech levers and the 11-42 cassette. Shifts far better than the old M770-17 XT shifter.

I am still running the 10 speed chain on this set up - HG54. £12 from Halfords rather than the £25-odd for an 11 speed one, and still shifts perfectly. Come new chain time, it'll be another HG54.

ZV5Wjyp.jpg

Back