26" tubeless XC mud tyres.

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Im currently using 1.9 High Rollers,I find them a great(and cheap) Summer tyre but wouldnt feel confident on them in heavy mud.What do you guys use as a general tyre in Winter?

TBH I find it depends on where you are as to what you need from a winter tyre, once the ground is wet, tyre choice becomes far more critical.

i have some Hutchison Pythons (not running as tubeless at the moment) and have surprisingly found them quite good in slippery mud, was expecting them to be terrible... (not so good in sticky mud). also have some rocket rons, that are terrible in the same conditions.

Heavy, thick, gloopy mud; can't beat (or puncture!) Maxxis Ignitor 1.9's. They only do tubeless in 2.1 tho, which I haven't tried, but they are just seriously good spring/autumn/mild winter tyres.
Useless on tarmac & slow on gravel tho, and slip on wet roots, but awesome in mud.

General 'winter' tyre (to be honest, I don't change them per season with British summers) I tend to use Schwalbe Nobby Nics on the rear which give good grip.
I have found too, where frame clearance permits, that mahoosive Geax Lobo Mas Loco 2.5's F&R are like pedalling a motocrosser about.
Silly lean angles, mud paddling ability, cushioning air volume and rock-pushing/bramble crushing abilities. Huge grins, but won't fit every bike, or perhaps everyone's sense of fun.
Amazing tyres tho, used them on a rigid bike and a full sus, and just never stop grinning (like an idiot) in all seasons..

Re:

...for sloppy mud try Bontrager mud x (ac jones), or Specialized Storm, or Maxxis Beavers...

Re:

A second vote for Bonty mud X, they are also tubeless ready, great in the mud and also good as a general winter tyre.

Back