Fox Vanilla Float RC rear shock issues - solveable...??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Bought a frame off the bay with the above rear shock, and at the moment I'm waiting to hear back off the seller about the issues I have with it, so the whole thing may have to go back, but....

Is it salvageable do you think? The rebound adjuster, the red circular dial, won't move at all. Have fiddled with the positioning of the blue lever but doesn't make a difference to the dial, still won't move. The valve cap was corroded on, had to be removed with pliers, so that's obviously not been off for a very long time. Now it is off, something very odd is happening when I try to add air, basically I wonder if it's actually holding air at all? It'll take it, then when I put the pump back on again, nothing is registering, it says zero again! (Pump is new)

There's a ding in the 'stantion' bit but I can't see that affecting it if it actually worked. And does that knurled collar do anything...? Don't want to start building up or taking apart for now until I know outcome off the seller.

One pic is from the net, as I haven't taken a pic of the whole shock yet :facepalm:

As an aside, if you've read this far, what's with the rust around the BB pivot bush/bearing? :?

Attachments

• Spesh 002.JPG
    Spesh 002.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,730
  • Spesh 001.JPG
    Spesh 001.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,730
  • AirVanillaFloatRC_165mm_1.jpg
    AirVanillaFloatRC_165mm_1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,731
  • Spesh 004.JPG
    Spesh 004.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,730
  • Spesh 003.JPG
    Spesh 003.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,729
Re:

If there is a dent in it then it's dead. As soon as the seal goes over it on compression it'll loose air and oil depending on what is there. Bin it.

The valve has probably corroded or gummed up, same with the damper adjuster. Wd 40 etc may free it up. Chances are the oil is well used given the condition so will need a service.

The ring is a spring adjuster (air spring)

One min...
http://www.birota.ru/manuals/foxflow/19 ... manual.pdf

The rust on the bearing is probably exactly that. If you keep it strip it down and fix it up.

Re:

Thanks Fluff, may try a bit of WD40 just to prove the theory, but it's bin time if I get to keep the frame, as you say.

Still awaiting response from seller, don't want to escalate it too soon to a claim, but if I do there's a chance I could get this for next to nothing and just buy a better shock anyway, and which point I'll put a build thread up and get advice on the best replacement. Cheers!

Re:

"The ring is a spring adjuster (air spring)"

If I am correct that you are replying to the question "And does that knurled collar do anything...?" and not the red circular dial which is already ID'd as the rebound adjuster, nope, it's not an air spring adjuster.
The air can sleeve screws into it and it holds the seals for the air can sleeve. It doesn't adjust anything. If you were to unscrew it all the way, without letting all the air out shock, there's a chance you could get injured by it blowing off. A chance though as I assume the air will leak first before the ring was unscrewed completely.

LC,
I have a later Fox Float RC on my Super V where the air can is one piece, no knurled ring, and an older Air Vanilla Float, from my daughter's Mount Vision, similar to the shock in question but without the blue lockout lever and red rebound adjuster. I've replaced seals on them a few times, once cleaned and with new seals they work fine again. If you do take it apart to clean it, don't worry if there is a small amount of fluid in there as it is supposed to be there, you get a small amount with rebuild kits to lube seals. It's always worth removing air can to check seals condition, give them a thorough clean and same with inside of air can, replace them if worn though. I think that all the seal kits you can buy for Fox air shocks fit them all. Except the new ones possibly, I've no experience of them.

Re:

Sorry 'air sleave collar", not spring adjuster

That's a mess up of a big delete and edit.
But yes drop the air and then undo to clean up etc as per the linked instruction booklet.

It's the dent in the body (brown bit) that been mentioned that is the major problem though.

Re:

OK, just was worried LC might try unscrewing it in an attempt to find out what was wrong with it.

As you say the dent means it's a goner. How does anybody manage to get a dent on the shock shaft when it's directly under top tube/seatpost mount?

LikeClockwork, if you do keep the bike don't chuck the shock because I might buy it off you for spares if you are willing. The only reason I took the Vanilla Float shock off my daughter's bike was because it didn't have rebound adjust, it worked fine otherwise and I've kept it as a spare "just in case". Like the idea of maybe rescuing the dented one by combining the 2 shocks.

Re:

Thanks chaps for all the advice, I'm waiting to see what the outcome is of the ebay side of things, but yes OCP, I'll bear you in mind ;)

In some ways I wouldn't mind taking it apart so I can learn what to do, it's how I've learned most of what I know about bikes!

Kaz

Re:

Usual technique is to put a large rag in the eyelet so when you unscrew the collar, if there is any air, the rag catches the can.

If you are putting air into it and its not holding, then seals are gone, you sure the valve in the shraeder connector is free?

Re:

I may have another play around and check that out over the weekend, but at the moment I have just entered into a 'discussion' with the seller re. the problems, he's being a bit vague and claiming he stated spares or repair, which he did lower down in the ad, whilst listing it as 'used'.

So I'm loath to fiddle at all until he comes up with a solution, last thing I want is to have to return it and him claim I've been trying to repair it!

For what it's worth, he claimed it was untested but appeared to function as it should, having done the test of pushing down on the shock. He admits he never tried to put air in it, or check the rebound adjuster. The two things I would have thought you could easily test. He's avoiding mention of the dent although I've said I think that makes the shock effectively scrap, and he should have seen that. Or mentioned it.

Re:

You've now got proof in his replies that he didn't test the shock and also saying it appeared to function as it should. Aye, right.
He omitted mention of dent, he can't get away with saying it was spares or repair, he should have described it fully, the fact the dent affects the proper function of shock means it can't function as it should. I think eBay would side with you since he didn't mention obvious dent.
It's not as described in my opinion, you can either return it for a refund or get him to part refund you the cost of a replacement shock (used). The latter would be my option, if the rest of frame is OK, screw him for the cost of a shock off eBay, there's loads to choose from. OK it'll be used but I've bought a few and only had one bad one, but that was sold as "spares or repair" so I took a gamble. I also got a partial refund from a seller who omitted to mention that the bushes on the shock of a Marin Wild Cat Trail were effed.

Latest posts

Back