Stevens Bikes: Anyone heard of them?

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My dear old dad is quite a keen cyclist, and used to spend his weekends chomping up miles on his road bike. However, a new knee last November has knocked him back quite a bit, and he can no longer handle the riding position, so has opted for a hybrid bike with a more forgiving position to allow him to still get out. A Stevens (6X) has caught his eye, and he has asked me about them. I've never heard of Stevens, but a quick look online suggests they are fairly well known in Germany, and seem to get decent write ups.

Anyone here know anything about them? Are they anything special in comparison to the more 'mainstream' brands?

Re:

I've not owned one myself, but they are a German brand and as you say seem to get good reviews. If you can look past the name I imagine they are good bikes, and usually good value for money, probably along the same lines as Canyon, Ghost, Rose Bikes etc. The only downside I can see is that they may not have a dealer network in the UK in case of any issues.

Re:

Here in Spain I've only seen their XC race bikes. In a nutshell their very light and quite expensive.
If it helps our LBS mechanic rides one.

I found Google links to Hargroves Cycles being UK dealers, but they make no reference on their website. I agree the name is totally naff!

The bike he is looking at comes in around €1k, and is kitted out with Deore and Suntour forks. My initial impression was that the groupset and forks might have been a bit basicfor the money, and so wanted to compare with other marques. But then thought that the price tag might have reflected a quality/upgradeable frameset.

Re:

Good brand. Had a S/H retro
MTB and was top notch Easton tubing. They have a reputation
for some of the best CX bikes.

Cheers. They generally seem to get a good rep from users and critic reviews. In fact, not sure I have found anything negative yet about them (other than perhaps a bit on the pricey side). Will pass on to the old boy.

Had a look at the Canyon site - there are some bleedin gorgeous "Urban" bikes on there. Drool.

Back