Can someone explain the appeal and longevity of GT i Drives?

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ello,
Can someone explain why idrives are so popular? I can't see them as anything other than over complicated URTs, ( And I really dislike URTs )
I did a service on a mate's one the other day, and it was very well made ( if atrociously maintained but that's another thread) but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was fixing something that was basically well, an over complicated URT.
What am I missing GT Fans? I like their other stuff: love an LTS, think they had the BEST paint up till 93, but can't get my head around these things. Educate me folks.

Re:

Have to agree. Dont get it. Even the lower end models with steell rear ends seem popular still. For me i'd go LTS any day of the week. That or old marin full suss

Re:

I used to love my I drive.
That is,until the seat tower snapped.replacement on warrenty snapped in the same place.that ended my love affair

Well i've just noticed this thread and i hadn't got a clue what it was all about so i've just googled it to see what the fuss was about and i have to admit that just a quick look and i'm not impressed in the slightest and i have to agree that it's way to over engineered and can only imagine the design will eventually be replaced with another idea in the future but personally i'd just shelve the design and go back to basic's .

Re:

It's unfair to lump them with urt as they work all the time and do not have the design flaws of urt. As a suspension system it works.

Saying that, the one I bought new in 2000 was god awful and put me off riding for another 5 years. The weight was the main thing, that and the turd forks and pogo stick shock.

How do they get over the physics of increasing the unsprung weight when standing on the pedals? I am assuming that's what the idrive is designed to do?

Re:

Design was fine. Just they did so many poor heavy versions with 3" travel they were generally poor bikes in my opinion. Steve Peat did ok on his dhi drive though but it took a beating!

Believe the modern gt force (?) Uses same principals of i drive so it is far removed from a basic utr

Back