Some friendly advice?

Pye7183

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi All

I'm weighing up options on a full suspension frame/bike

Problem is (as I'm sure it is for many) cash is a little tight. However I'm not fussed about the most modern kit just a serviceable basis to scratch an itch and take it from there!

Current favorites are the Specialized Stumpjumper/Enduro FSR's - Giant Trance/Reign - Trek Remedy 6/Fuel - Kona Dawg -
It would be great to get some input from folks who may be running these bikes still or have had experience of them in the past - and any other recommendations you guys may have.

My budget for a frame is -£150-200 with a sight of around -£450-500 for a full bike (fully aware this isn't a lot ) Im not shy of doing some work so potentially could get something that needs a little tlc

Id ideally want something with 120mm plus. I much prefer going down hill rather than up but the bike will be suited for all day duties rather than a downhill rig

On a side note I have a Kona Kula deluxe ( last of the Easton tubed ones I think ) frame in decent condition as well as a pair or Marzochi z3.5s - V's & disc - ( have new seals that can go with them) - I was hoping to sell on to help fund some full sprung action - unsure what these items should fetch, so again any guidance would be greatly appreciated

If any one has anything they think may be of interest Id be open to any offers

Thanks in advance for any input

Matt

Re:

Just a little add to this - i know the questions is a little common - the reason Ive posted here is more to gain peoples thoughts on buying a frame from around 04-07 - alu fatigue - common failures / cracks etc. Peoples experience really. Ive asked here thinking that I would most likely get some thought through response rather than "it will crack you will die" - However if this is true id be happy to hear it and accept that at this point full suss is out of my reach.

Thanks folks

Matt

I've got a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp from 2007 which I've had since new (albeit in 200:cool: and it's a cracking bike, it was only £1500 new so should easily fit within your budget. I've had no problems with it (except the brakes which I've replaced) since I got it, forks and shock are fine and the frame has no signs of fatigue.

Here's a slightly more modern version of mine which should give you a benchmark on price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-S ... 2c9ea4571b

At the time I was buying my bike the Dawg deluxe was also getting some pretty rave reviews, I know technology has changed but mine is far more bike than my riding will ever need!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I have seen a few decent complete FS bikes sell on ebay over the last few weeks for under £200. In fact I am still kicking myself on missing one last week that went for £20 more than my highest bid.

This may be the best way to go with your budget, leaving some cash in reserve for service & upgrades.

Bearings / bushes etc wear out on full suspension frames and aren't pacticulary cheap to replace. My 2008 Stumpjumper FSR got through all the original bearings / bushes in 18 months of riding one day a week. The Shimano Deore parts all wore out quicker than that though.

Thanks Mark - yeah the FSR Stumpjumper is a favourite of mine - Seems to fit all my requirements and appear to be built to last. Im actually watching that one you've suggested so thanks!

I know that feeling David - missed out on a Stumpjumper this week to the sound of 2 quid!

Cheers Rampage its definitely a consideration I've been having especially considering Im currently enjoying a relatively maintenance free On One Inbred but I am find the limits on the stuff I enjoy the most.

much appreciate the effort and help

Matt

Back