shimano disc brakes - what's the difference?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have an M445 (alivio level) disc brake, which seems very good value for the money (cost me 25 quid I think).

I think the next level up is deore, then STX, XT, etc.

Is there much if any difference between alivio and a deore or STX? Apart from looks and price obviously - do they work any better? last longer? are more adjustable?

Just wondering, before I buy a matching one for the rear (or splash out on a full set of something "better")

Deore is a step up from Alivio - the new ones are very powerful. SLX gets tool less reach adjust and XT gets ceramic pistons. But power is the same across all three AFAIK.

I don't mind the initial adjustment using an allen key, so have Deore on a few bikes (M615). Superb brakes and about £35 and end from CRC or approx £65 a set (CRC and Merlin I think)

Re:

I have used Deore, XT and XTR... Deore are great brakes for the money but I found they were kinda all on or all off and a bit "grabby"...not much between. The XTR had a far better action, and were nicely adjustable, but you are paying for bling and the name. I have just gone back to the latest M8000 XT brakes which are very similar to the XTR just half the price. This current incarnation of the XT brakes are just awesome.

But to conclude for the money you will not get a better brake than Shimano. If you want to spend more then there are Hope which are superb too.

I am afraid I don't know the difference between Alivo and Deore...

Doug

I think Alivio are still the old style, without servowave. I have that design in XT form, and they work well, but no where near as powerful as the new stuff.

My 'new to me' bike has the same M445 brakes. I'm really impressed with the power and control you get from them. Not sure what improvement you would see moving up just one level - on other forums the standard answer to what brakes is SLX - which seem to have the right balance of value / features and performance. I'm going to stick with mine for now and look at SLX in the future.

It's not one level up really, it's a totally different design if you look at them.

The Alivio are based on the previous model Deore/LX/XT. They are good, but not as good.

thanks all for the info... will have to check the budget, and will either stick with the alivios, or try and stretch to STX :)

that said - none of them seem to want to fit nicely with my thumbies :(

I have some gripshift I can use, but would like to keep my thumbies if possible... any suggestions?

Back