Chains-Shimano, KMC, Sram and Wippermann

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Forgive me if ive missed any

Im going for a new chain ever though I don't really need another and ive a few anyway. Well quite a few as im a regular changer.

But I wants a new one as its a new summer build which demands a new chain :? Logic there somewhere.

Was hovering over the Shimano Yumeya @40 quid ,which is 4 times that id normally spend.
Thought id ask you all if you've any recommendations ? :D For 9spd mtb. I run a twin ring 46/38 ,75% on the road.

Anyone in particular know about Wippermans connex chains ? or KMC :)

I'll look back later.

Surprising the Yumeya is heavier than most. Cant see why :?

Re:

I use KMC or Sram, usually in the £10-20 price range, easy to fit/ remove with the quick links/magic links provided, check the wear often and replace before they get too worn (and end up knackering the cassette or chainring).
Shimano and their snap off connecting pins just annoy me.
Heard good things about Wipperman chains but never used one myself.
Personally can't see the point in a £40 chain, unless it's purely for the bling factor of a gold coating on the links, or hollow pins/links.

I have fitted a number of the kmc sl chains, around £25 to save a few gramnes. Not had any issues with them.

Have used both shimano andsram mid range chains, rypicalky £5- £10 and those go in the bike(s) that wilk see mud.
No issues with them.

Difficult to say how many miles as mud can really wear a chain quickly.

There is also ybn chains, available in colours as are kmc.

Re:

I just bought a few Ultegra chains from CRC since they were on half price, they were 10sp though so not really much help. HTH

Generally I just stick with shimano and use quick connectors from another brand, ignore the daft 1 use pin things and they are fine.

greencat":2el0tmox said:
Shimano XTR 9 speed are pretty good. I wouldn't bother with anything cheaper from Shimano.

why what make sthe XTR special ?

I just buy the KMC X9, used to get the all siver but being generally wet here mud rips them to bits and they have a tendancy to rust, the do have a new EPT (or some accronym) to help prevent that. So I just get the cheapest X9 whic was about 6 or to 8 quid at CRC.

Alwy wanted a L or SL version to save weight but they perform no better (how can they)
The various version I've seen people use, the pins and holes just fill with mud in the side plate gaps.

So somewhere I now don't bother to bling a lot, but somewhere to make sure does it's job.

Sram 991 with the all nickel plated links is very good at resisting rust. They come up on offer at CRC fairly regularly so you can get them for not much more than a tenner.

FluffyChicken":2y2txnk4 said:
greencat":2y2txnk4 said:
Shimano XTR 9 speed are pretty good. I wouldn't bother with anything cheaper from Shimano.

why what make sthe XTR special ?

I just buy the KMC X9, used to get the all siver but being generally wet here mud rips them to bits and they have a tendancy to rust, the do have a new EPT (or some accronym) to help prevent that. So I just get the cheapest X9 whic was about 6 or to 8 quid at CRC.

Alwy wanted a L or SL version to save weight but they perform no better (how can they)
The various version I've seen people use, the pins and holes just fill with mud in the side plate gaps.

So somewhere I now don't bother to bling a lot, but somewhere to make sure does it's job.

Just found I wasn't getting more than about 3 months out of even XT ones. The XTR/Dura-ace last around 9 months doing the same level of riding. YMM(literally)V.

Re:

I have a Wippermann connex 9 speed chain on my crosser. I like! Strong and resistant to corrosion (more so than others I've used). The connex connecting link is easy to separate too, I've never had to struggle to split the chain unlike the sram link which I find hard. A bit pricier than some but still under the £40 you were thinking of spending on the Yumeya

Back