9 speed cassette, what one.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Need a new cassette, not sure what one to get.
Also an idea of best place.
Need a quality one, no cheap crap.

Thanks, XT one looks good, would like the one with red bits but for the price I'd get the XT one.

Cheap crap ones work just as well and are only marginally heavier. Personally I run SRAM ones which are cheaper and more durable than Shimano in my experience - and shift every bit as well.

What you get is the alloy carrier with 4 or 5 sprockets riveted on. Indeed it's lighter, however I had a couple that the rivets loosened...and you have to bin the lot. The tooth profiles are the same as the more lowly ones, so functionally they are identical.

It depends on how much you want that weight saving. Incidentally SRAM cassettes (in cheap all steel) tend to be slightly lighter than Shimano.

Hamster, I'm not one of those weight freaks, don't like a heavy bike but also not worrying about weight all the time.
Never had prob with rivets personally.
Thanks for your views :)

For what it's worth, I'm mostly in agreement with hamster. I'll generally spend the extra for a lighter cassette with a spider for a 'nice' bike, but cheaper cassettes seem just as durable, and for a more utilitarian bike I'm happy with Deore or Tiagra.

I've used SRAM cassettes in the past, and I think they're as good as Shimano. When I've chosen one over the other, it's usually been based on price.

One slightly arcane advantage that Shimano cassettes have is that the 12t sprocket of a 9-speed 11-32 cassette has a knurled face to accept a lockring. Throw away the 11t sprocket and you have a narrow spaced 8-speed 12-32 cassette that fits snugly on a 7-speed freehub.

Re:

M760/M770 at £30 are good for me, spiders are easier to clean, not heavy and have lasted through winter muddy and gritty riding.

Can't complain.

Back