Formula brake hose compatibility

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a set of rx brakes and need a longer hose. Crc are selling a hose kit for a staggering £40. They also sell a kit for an oro for £15 though the banjos are different. My question is, is the hose the same? Can I use it with my existing fittings or do I need the £40 kit?

I guess another question is are there any cheaper sources of the right kit if I need to go down that route?

Thanks

Unlike the seals, I am not aware of brake hose being incompatible with dot or mineral oil, the inner tube seems to be nylon.

As long as you have correct size banjo, and there are two tiny o rings either side to seal, it should fit.

Are oro banjos really different, its a bit stupid a manufacturer making brakes with different fittings.

That doesnt answer your q but cr do free postage on itens over £10 and free return should it not fit. Btw, you only need the rear hose as you can shorten the existing rear to use at the front, ideally with a new olive.

Cheers, I just need to lengthen the rear hose, front is fine. I think it's worth a punt, need to check that 1500 is long enough though, 1300 is too short.

Can't you get someone to help you measure your bike?
Tape measure will do fine.
Just hold it to the bike from the lever down to the rear where the caliper is.
Different frames will be a different size.

I've measured up, current cable disc brake run is 1600. Not sure I can squeeze 100mm off the run. Darn, unless someone knows where I can buy just the formula hose, it's looking expensive.

Ebay
3 m
£7
Banjo fitting both ends. Cut one end off and fit hollow bolt, you can reuse inner, just need a new olive.

Just verify banjo is right size, all lthe ones ive seen shimano hope avid are m6

Cheers but really after black.

Am I just being stupid. I'm pretty sure I have some hope, shimano and possibly some jag wire hose. I was trying to keep the hose matching with the front, but would any of these hose work?

Hose is irrelevant.
It is the end fittings that matter.

As mentioned earlier there are 2 main type, straight hollow bolt and 90 degree banjo.
Hollow bolt can be fitted to different hose (not braided) but needs new olive. The formula hose is ever so slightly thicker than shimano, avid, magura and jagwire making the fitting of the 5 mm olives i use a bit trickier (i trim hose length on my bikes so there is no excess)

Banjo end is normally crimped on (we ignore fancy read expensive hope and goodrich reusable fittings)
You need to measure the banjo bolt diameter and see if the banjo ends are compatible, my money is it will be m6.

As an example i am using shimano banjo with magura calliper. (Original magura fitting is was crimped on straight fitting)

Cheers lgf. Think I'll steer clear of the pink as the bike is stealthy and black all round. Don't suppose you know the diameter of the stock formula hose?

Back