Why are Chris King headsets...

Re:

Funnily enough, I was just perusing ebay and thinking the same, as I'd really like one for the Explosif....

I suspect even though the CK's are super smooth and gorgeous to look at, the cheap ones on ebay are just as good and as per usual, you're just paying for the name really....

But I'd still like one :facepalm:

Well, just bought a new anodised red FSA sealed bearings for 1/4 of the price.

Bit like those Hope pedals that are £120, maybe worth it for someone.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":3eru4ytv said:
I think these are pretty good, but a £9.99 Rabid one should outlast your ownership :xmas-wink: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VP-for-Cane-C ... 4879273f92

This one will be a keeper like Karma Kona....possibly.

Those Rabid ones are the ones everyone has been on about, but personally I'd like a CK as it's more in keeping with the 'retro modern' look I will be going for. Otherwise I've got a Cane Creek modern thing that's worth 40 quid so I might just as well stick that on it.... :facepalm:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Never even heard of rabid till you said that.

I've got one on my "shopping bike", given the low cost, it seems quite nicely made and finished and wouldn't look out of place on a nice frame. It's been fitted for about 6 months or so and has been absolutely fine so far and I've just ordered another one for a friends bike that I'm servicing.

I hate servicing headsets, the Race Face Real Seal I bought in 1998 is still going strong, along with Hopes I bought a decade ago. That said, a Rabid I bought last week for a neighbour's teenaged son seems nicely finished and smooth. We will see how good the seals prove to be.
Pricey headsets seem to be the only things that last on the tandem. Typically some of the extra cost goes into unseen things like seals and machining accuracy. They make it durable and easy to adjust (and it stays adjusted!) My experience is that cheap Chinese bearings in my Hope hubs last 6 months whereas an NMB, NSK or SKF bearing will last a couple of years.

You pays your money and takes your pick.

Re:

My experience is that cheap Chinese bearings in my Hope hubs last 6 months whereas an NMB, NSK or SKF bearing will last a couple of years.

I agree with you about using quality bearings, F.A.G. are good too, but most boutique parts manufacturers, Hope, Chris King etc. don't actually produce their own bearings, they buy them in. They make the housing, be it a hub or headset, but not the actual bearings themselves.

Looking at a hub or headset cups, other than being better finished, it's difficult to see how one can be 10 or 20 times better and more expensive than another. :?

Back