Hope discs question(s)

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am in the middle of my first foray into the world of disc brakes. And have no idea what I'm doing.

I have a set of (what I believe to be) Hope Mini Monos with two No 5 calipers, both IS mount. Problem is, my forks are post mount. I know there are adapters out there, but did these calipers ever come with PM fittings, or were they too early for that?

How interchangeable are calipers and levers? Can I fit any old PM calipers and expect them to work properly with my Hope levers?

Like I said, I am clueless.

Re:

Two different brake fluids are used:
Mineral oil = shimamo and magura
DOT brake fluid = eveyone else e.g. avid, formula, hope

You cannot mix levers/calliper between the twk or the seals may fail.

Lever and callipers are reasonably interchangeable but depends on piston diameter. E.g you replace a calliper with one that has larger diameter piston, the lever will need to travel more to push more fluid, vice versa if going to smaller dia pistons. It is possible in extreme case fitting say triple piston calliper, the lever may run out of travel due the amount of extra fluid. You would need to measure piton diameter of both callipets to see what effect the change would have.

Brake hoses have either banjo fitting or m6 hollow bolt so in theory it should be possible to join any lever with any calliper.

IS to PM adapters should be readily available, try fleabay or LBS.
Hope - wise I have a selection of C2 / mini / mono mini calipers with either the mini lever or the old sport lever, seem to mix fine.

After my hope caliper seized I used the early hope levers with the gold formula calipers and the 1st generation shimano XT (grimeca) twin pots. Both worked very well.

If they are old enough to be a numbered caliper, it's unlikely that a is/pm adaptor will work well.
You'll either end up with the caliper massively offset or needing a humongous disc...... (Can't remember which way round it is!)

Cheers all. Replies served to confirm how little I know...banjo fittings, twin pots...! :? :? :LOL:

Suggestion that the age of the calipers might mean they won't work with an adapter is a worry. Is it perhaps easier just to buy newer calipers? Or is there any value in keeping the old No 5s?

I see on here some Hope calipers with coloured discs in them. What are these, and will they work with my levers? I'll hunt for a pic and post.

Edit: pic

getFile.php

Might be worth seeing what caliper half you need for a pm fork. If there is one available, I'm sure someone on here will have one.........

Re:

I'd probably sell the Hope's and buy a set of current Shimano Deore. They're great and can be had for little over £50 the pair. Solves all your problems! :D

Back