What is the point in fat bikes?

Re: Re:

firedfromthecircus":2ars5wzu said:
jimo746":2ars5wzu said:
JamesM":2ars5wzu said:
Sand and snow!!!

and what if you live nowehere near sand or snow?

Then they are useless, pointless and heavy, unless you like riding 'off piste'.

Like most 4x4s sold and used in this country!

Definately, just a novelty IMO. I imagine a short lived one too

Re:

Becoming my favorite and most used bike. They handle better than anything I've ridden.
Nothing even remotely can climb what they can climb (as long as you have the legs)
Glide like a magic carpet over most anything. Corner like they are on rails. And MOST importantly you can do absolutely nothing but smile while on one. Oh and technically still a 26er.

Sand and snow!!!

& mud :) downsides are the are either heavy or cost a lot of money, tyres are expensive & comments about tyres are yes i have to say it tiresome, but on the plus side they take rideable terrain & grip to another level & are laugh a minute to ride - personally the comments about the tyres are too much for me, which is a right pain in the ares when your mate is riding one :evil:

Re:

It seems that the people who buy them are those who dont use them for their proper use, they buy one for the sake of buying one. I remember seeing one of the old surly fat bikes which is probably the machine that started it all off and back then it was something different because fat bikes didnt really exist. I saw the point in that a little because it was a bit of a novelty (although the owner used it for commuting :LOL: ) but i agree with the person above who said its a phase that will probably be short lived

Back