Michel Wheels for Cyclocross: Excite vs Homebuild

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I'm looking for a new set of wheels for my cyclocross bike, which has Campag 9 speed. I bought a cheap set of second hand Khamsin wheels to try out but wasn't very happy with them, difficult to true, prone to broken spokes etc.

I'm trying to decide between a set of ready made wheels or doing a self build.

I've narrowed my choice down to either a set of Miche Excite wheels, or building up a set myself with a set of Miche Primato hubs, Rigida DP18 rims, and 32 or 36 spokes.

The Excites are the only wheels I've found that don't seem to have radial spoke patterns, and which have a decent spoke count on both wheels (28 front and back). I just don't trust radial spokes for cyclocross, nor on the potholed roads near me.

I've built up wheels with DP18 rims before and they were great, easy to true, solid, haven't needed much work since. They are a bit heavy, but are certainly nice and solid.

So, any thoughts on either of these options? Or any suggestions for other wheels in the same price range (up to about 200 Euro)?

Cheers,

Johnny

I have to say that fro tough duty I'd go for handbuilt wheels every time. If nothing else they are easier to repair and service. All the factory wheels seem to have at least one proprietary part which makes long-term ownership a pain.

Re:

Thanks, yes, I've gone for homebuilt. Miche Racing hubs, DP18 rims, Sapim double butted spokes. Just waiting for all the bits to arrive in the post.

True what you say about factory stuff. I looked into repairing my old Campag wheels but it was difficult to find the right spokes, and the bearings need replacing too. I only paid 50 euro and got a good season's riding out of them, so not such a problem, but a shame they have to make them so awkward to repair and service.

I'm going for some Pacenti rims on my CX bike when I get round to changing the wheels. Luckily I've got a pair of Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs kicking around spare so I'll be getting them built onto those.

Latest posts

Back