Crack in frame or nothing to worry about....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
On underside of down tube/head tube weld, alu frame....

Attachments

• Crack in alu frame 008.JPG
    Crack in alu frame 008.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 892
  • Crack in alu frame 004.JPG
    Crack in alu frame 004.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 892
  • Crack in alu frame 003.JPG
    Crack in alu frame 003.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 892
  • Crack in alu frame 001.JPG
    Crack in alu frame 001.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 892
Always difficult to say without seeing it in the flesh...and even then it can be hard to tell. To me it looks like a couple of stress cracks to the paint. That part of the frame takes a lot of stress! You could paint it over with a few coats of tippex then ride it around for a few miles. If the tippex cracks then there must be some movement in the joint. If it doesn't crack then you are good to go and can clean off the tippex :)

Agree, in the paint I think, look at the way the crack flows into the weld. Only way to know for sure though is to remove the paint and see but keep riding it and it will soon show it it will increase.

Re:

Thanks chaps, can't really start scraping paint away just in case it has to be returned, I've only just got it :facepalm:

I might try the Tippex trick, or maybe mark the ends of the cracks as they are at present? And then try actually RIDING the damn thing rather than looking at it :LOL:

Last photo shows ctack in top left and bottom right of weld.
Could be just paint or weld stsrting to fail.

You mention returning it, consider that option

Re:

All sorted now chaps and on it's way back to seller. One day I may actually get to own a mountain bike for 5 minutes.... :roll:

Re:

A Gary Fisher Sugar full sus thing....gussets under there too, not had a hard life apparently, but I didn't think the headset was seated properly and it was full of grit and gravel, which makes me wonder....

Back