Why does my Marzocchi z2 sound weird? (Video included)

Re:

cant really hear much but from what you describe it sounds normal(ish) to me..

the Z3 has a basic orifice style damper..

and the Z2 uses a more advanced cartridge style damper with a basic shim stack piston.

it will just be oil flowing through the shim stack damper you can hear.. they do tend to get noisier the higher/slower the damping setting.

if its really noisy though.. it could be a sign of not enough oil in the damper.. or old / rubbish quality oil that is foaming up inside (lots of little bubbles of air make that can make a squelching sound)

Legend has it though the Marzocchi built up the original Z1 with spectro golden because it foamed in their damper during lots of high speed impacts which helped prevent spiking...
I might be wrong though.. :LOL:

If you have just bought them second hand id be looking at rebuilding them anyway, with a quality oil and making sure there is the correct amount in the fork. (oil levels can be found on the marzocchi website) and I would probably change the seals too whilst i was at it for my own peace of mind.

Thanks for that long and good answer :) I will try to change the oil, I don't think it have ever been changed.

Doing a rebuild of it seems unlikely, as I don't trust my own abilities enough, and I would most likely buy the wrong spare parts.

The only spare parts you would need for a rebuild would be..

(unless something is broken.. and in that case itd probably work out cheaper to buy another fork off ebay.. :LOL: )

the right oil.. that putoline stuff would be ok
a bit of suspension grease.
and a seal kit.

its a fairly simple process and there are plenty of guides out there..

Changed the oil, old was black and very thick. New oil clear and yellow.

The way you have to measure the oil level is freakin' stupid! 40 mm from the top stanchion? Yea, so easy! Why not just give me a CC measure instead!

Anyway, it didnt make much of a difference. Maybe one of the legs doesn't close as much as it should. Don't know.

Think I will ride it anyway, it might make unerving sounds, but it seems functional.

Back