Marzocchi 03 MX Comps

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Picked up a set of said forks this afternoon for peanuts(£30)and in pretty much perfect order.Initial impressions are good and I intend on sticking it onto my modernish hardtail this evening.Anyone any experience with these and have tips on maintenance/tuning etc?

I'd change the oil in them before fitting them. Marzocchi forks will go for ages without a service, but there's so many set's I've serviced and the oil is thick and black inside. Stripping them down is so simple and oil so cheap it'd be silly not to. Once done they'll be fine for a long time to come.

I have a set of these and they really are awesome and so simple to maintain.

Marzocchi manuals can be difficult to read however.

Basically you need to release the air, remove the top caps, drain the oil, unscrew the bolts on the bottom of the legs and it all comes apart.

Be careful with the seals, wipe them and don't get any dirt on them and lube them with some fork grease, I use Manitou Prep M and it works fine.

Fit the stanchions back into legs and screw together, can't remember oil quantities but it's up to just under the thread with the stanchions compressed.

Finally make sure you use the right oil / air pressure. I'm about 10.5 stone and use 7.5w oil and about 45psi and the're plush as anything.

Back