Can I run a 10 speed xtr mech with 9 speed xtr shifters?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Possibly a simple question but I've an m985 rear clutch mech kicking about and a 9 speed m970 shifter. I'm hoping I can get away with running them on my yet to arrive folding bike. I'm thinking it will be ok but want to be sure.

Will a 9 speed chain be ok or will I need a 10?

What is the benefit of the clutch? As my folder is going to start life with a single front ring, I was thinking it might be useful to prevent the chain dropping, is that the purpose? Excuse my ignorance, catching up on modern tech at the moment.

Thanks

You can

you cant

you can

I dont know!

10spd shimano might actually work but it all went 1:1 cable pull instead of the old 1:2

Re:

tried a deore 9sp shifter and xt 10 speed mech would not work on the moonlander
for me;;but then i am useless on bikes :facepalm:

Re:

No you can't. The clutch mech is explained here. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsk46xcGUE[/youtube]

Shimano 10 speed have different amount of cable pull so wont work witb 9 speed shifter. I may be wrong but i think the pull is same as on sram 9 spd.... someone will correct me.

BTW the faq on bikeradar covers the different sp compatability issues.

Re chains. I run +1 speed chains without problems. I.e. 10 sp chain on 9 sp cassette and chainset.

Not tried -1 speed but it should work, the difference is about 0.5 mm ( just so happened i replaved 9 spd chain and wasnt sure if the chain in the bag marked 8 sp was 8 sp, oh and i didnt fit it but had spare 9 sp that i used)

Ok I just thought that the shifter controlled the amount of cable pulled and the mech was just a passenger. If it's 1:1 would sram 9 speed shifters work with the 10 speed mech?

Yes but mech moves a certain distance depending on amount of cable pulled so the two need to match.

Before i googled the question, i would bave said sram 9 sp would work with shimano 10 spd, it seems that a 6 mm spacer for the cable clamp is required to match them (spacer compensates for the cable pull difference)

Looks like I'm not quite going back to the drawing board as I forgot I bought a 10 speed xt shifter a while back. Normally I don't like to mix and match and I could do xt shifter and rear mech but I've an xtr mech doing nothing g so think I'll have to overcome that ocd.

Back