Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Thought I'd start up a thread on the above topic, as TBH, I'm getting right into them again.
I kind of gave up on watching the Pro Tour as I believe it it is now called, mainly owing to the drugs scandals of the past, resulting in me not knowing who to admire, as well as who to despise for their inability/unwillingness to ride clean.
I - maybe in a rose tinted sort of way - am starting to think/hope that the newer generation of racers are a cleaner bunch than those of the past.
I was never a Tour fan, single day classics always held more of an interest for me, and having watched some of the early season races, I have found that my enthusiasm is returning. It has also got me out on my road bike more, as I find it very motivational, just like I used to.

Anyway, the idea of this thread is, as the title says, to post your thoughts on the races we have seen, along with the upcoming races.

Personally, my two favourite races, are happening over the next two weekends, with the Tour of Flanders on Sunday, then Paris - Roubaix the following Sunday. That I'll have to record. I'm away on an mtb ride.

Let's hear your thoughts on the races so far, and the ones coming up.

Mike

A late-comer to appreciating the Classics/Monuments, my head was turned by riding the Ronde a few years back, then watching Boonen grandstanding amongst thousands of merry Belgians in Oudennarde. Hence I'm side-stepping the annual Pendle Witches ride for the knowing comforts of the Rapha cafe in Manchester, along with fellow Classics fan 'The Mechanic'. In my rucksack will be a bottle of Heinz salad cream for the McDonalds frites as I suspect the Rapha equivalent creme will be a tad rich for my palate/wallet...

I'm sure Edwards will be along presently to regale us with his intimate knowledge of what goes on in darkest Arenberg.

Attachments

• Where's my mayo.JPG
    Where's my mayo.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 572
Re:

Like you Mike I've been very cynical about pro cycling and the widespread doping issues for many years now.
I've kept in touch with the racing scene, and first subscribed to Eurosport last year for the Spring Classics which I very much enjoyed watching.
Gent Wevelgem was one of the best races so far, really exciting to watch and what a great ride Paolini did.
Kristoff has been great this week at De Panne, although Griepal gave him a scare today.
Viviani looks in good form as does Modolo, Bouhanni and Demaurd need to do something.
With Boonen and Cancellara out we could see some new winners at Flanders and Roubaix.
See if Dan Martin can stay on his bike long enough to win Liege Bastogne Liege again, can't wait

Re:

I used to like Duffers doing the commentary, a real character.

I don't know their names now, but one of them is really full of technical waffle that makes me sleepy, and the other one is a lot better. Obviously, the pros are saying things worth hearing.
Feel like I need to organize a regional retro ride sometime soon.
I remember seeing the photo of Jesper Skibby getting run over by a team car on the Kemmelberg, but who's that in the photo?

Mike

A great couple of weeks this, for classics fans.
Its always my favourite time of year and has been for along time. Unfortunately Boonan is out, along with Cancellara and a good few others at this stage. Though I am a huge fan of Boonan, he is my favourite since Bettini retired, I think this will inspire others to step up, though quick step look slightly unsure of themselves without their captain. The rumours of Boonan fronting at Roubaix is the stuff of legend, imagine if he came back early, broken bones and all and won!
Its not likely to happen but we can dream ;) I think it will be a great fortnight regardless. We have already had a good fortnight and I will be watching eurosport on Sunday after a ride in the morning.
Have a good one Mr K and say hello to Mr Ed for me. Unfortunately there is nothing happening this far north for a veiwing get together.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2gv8ahub said:
A great couple of weeks this, for classics fans.
Its always my favourite time of year and has been for along time. Unfortunately Boonan is out, along with Cancellara and a good few others at this stage. Though I am a huge fan of Boonan, he is my favourite since Bettini retired, I think this will inspire others to step up, though quick step look slightly unsure of themselves without their captain. The rumours of Boonan fronting at Roubaix is the stuff of legend, imagine if he came back early, broken bones and all and won!
Its not likely to happen but we can dream ;) I think it will be a great fortnight regardless. We have already had a good fortnight and I will be watching eurosport on Sunday after a ride in the morning.
Have a good one Mr K and say hello to Mr Ed for me. Unfortunately there is nothing happening this far north for a veiwing get together.

Jamie

Another Boonen fan here,

Do you remember him doing the double, Jamie? Twice in a row I think!
Also remember him riding in Hincapie's Discovery Roubaix team. When he first came to prominence IIRC.
Goddam it, I wanna get out on my bike now! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Think it will be a fight between Thomas, Paolini, Stybar and maybe Devolder.
I don't recall suspension being used at Flanders before, Roubaix yes. Lemond, Doclos-Lasalle and Tchmil used RockShox forks.
I imagine 10mm could be built into the frame design, without any obvious sign of it.

Now going by the price of Pinarello frames now, how much would these cost the general public, should they be so inclined! :shock: :shock:

Mike

Re:

Panic over then, if they're built anything like their XJS/6 cars, they won't even make the cobbles, let alone the showrooms! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Back