Shimano floating brake rotors - movement

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Quick question, should floating brake rotors (shimano in my case) move when you hold the brake on? I'm working on my FSR at the moment and have just noticed that hen the bike is stationery and I hold one of the brakes on there is movement when I rock the bike forwards/backwards. I appreciate they are 'floating' but I just wanted to check if this was normal? These are my first set of floating rotors and it's not something I've had with single piece rotors.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Re:

I think I recall hearing of a similar issue with Shimano floating rotors before :?
I'm using Hope and there's no movement at all. Have used Shimano in the past and had no issues either.
Are you 100% sure the movement is from the rotors and not the headset or forks?
I know there can be a bit of play in the rivets that hold the two parts of the rotor together, but if it brakes fine and doesn't cause any issues with brake drag then I should think it would be ok?

Aren't most of the shimano rotors faux floaters? Just two bits riveted together?
And if it's not head set or fork bushes, check it's not your pads moving backwards and forwards.
And if they are centre lock, check the lockring,

Thanks for the replies. It's both brakes, which rules out headset, forks etc. If I wedge my finger in between the rotor and it's floating mount (by the rivot) I can feel a small amount of movement. I've scoured Google and can find a couple of similar experiences, it just seems a little odd!

If you look at the centre lock adaptors and how the pins align on certain brands, BBB being one, there is inherent play.
Strangely nothing unusual can be felt during braking. I've never seen this happen on a Shimano adaptor, I assume because the tolerances are tighter

I am not aware of shimano doing floating rotors but use rivets to hold the s steel braking surface to the alloy carrier.
There should be no play.
Are you sure its not the centre lock? As it is more likely due to tje splines, maybe they have worn.

I am using xt/xtr (im pish you see) sh centre lock with both sh hubs and dt swiss and not noticed any movement in the disc.
I

I recon it's the rotors. That's where I can feel a small amount of movement. I think it's amplified/exaggerated through to the bars due to the distance/leverage. Not to worry, could be worse. Thanks for all the replies.

Back