Anyone make half decent MTB Forks with 1 1/8 Steerer

Rob H

Retro Guru
Well it's starting to look like the bike industry doesn't want to sell me a new pair of forks anymore.

I've got a Pipedream frame which is a couple of years old that I'd like to build up and ride but it has a 30mm head tube, which as far as I'm concerned has been the industry standard for the best part of 20 years. However it appears that the major fork manufactures have stopped making forks with 1 1/8 steerers, everything seems to tappered steerer these days, except for tripple clamps. So does anyone know of any new forks out there with an 1 1/8 steerers? or am I forced to buy second hand?

Re:

I'm sure someone must have stock (NOS) of something like a revalation or F32 with a straight steerer .

Re:

How much travel do you need? If you're looking at new 2015 forks, options are getting limited.

You can still get some Fox in 1 1/8" steerer, Evolution and Factory series. Best thing to do would be have a look at the Mojo pricelist. Sometimes Mojo will swap a CSU out for you as well if you ask them.

Everything Rock Shox up to Reba/Revelation level is available but nothing higher.

As Matthews says, there will be loads older stock about if you look around. There will be tons of shops with stock they haven't been able to move.

As a fellow pipedream owner, I went for some nice reba rlt forks. I think sjs cycles or merlin had them at good prices but this was 6 months ago now. Plenty of used ones out there too.

ishaw":3qqptq9p said:
As a fellow pipedream owner, I went for some nice reba rlt forks. I think sjs cycles or merlin had them at good prices but this was 6 months ago now. Plenty of used ones out there too.

That's what I went for in the end, half tempted to buy a second pair whilst I still can and stash them away in case I damage them.

Back