They don' make em like they used to! Jockey wheels...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I put a brand new rear mech on the SC in October...5 month later and the bottom jockey wheel looks like this! :shock: Probably done 500-600 miles admittedly in shitty sloppy mud conditions...do any other makes last longer? I have seen some alloy ones. What do people think?

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_2186 (1).JPG
    IMG_2186 (1).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 666
Nah, bad conditions will eat through any jockey wheels in no time. With more expensive ones, you might stretch it by a few weeks, but not much. Think about metal-on-metal grinding with all that grit. I commuted by bike in Seattle for 2 years when I was living there (~120-150 miles per week, depending on route). I ate through a pair of wheels every 8 weeks until I got smart and went single speed.

Eeeek! Them is the worst ive ever seen.

Alloy jw will have a sealed bearing instead of a plain bush and if ridden in the wet, will need constant reagreasing or they will seize.

Mud will eat jws, best cost solution for you is to buy cheap shimano plain bush jws.

Re:

....fair enough...got a replacement pair yesterday...cheaper than a new mech! Just shocked that the have worn so quickly...

That's odd, typically they do a couple of thousand on the bottom pulley. I wonder if it overtightened or something to increase the friction to spinning freely.

hamster":16xx8k8o said:
That's odd, typically they do a couple of thousand on the bottom pulley. I wonder if it overtightened or something to increase the friction to spinning freely.

It didnt feel over tight and the cranks span freely...I have been riding it in complete clay like slop!

wookiee":2lm7v0k4 said:
It didnt feel over tight and the cranks span freely...I have been riding it in complete clay like slop!

Hows the chain? checked it for wear? if that's happened to the jockey wheels then I'd imagine the chain has taken a fair amount of wear & tear as well.

jimo746":2eq7zvdx said:
wookiee":2eq7zvdx said:

Hows the chain? checked it for wear? if that's happened to the jockey wheels then I'd imagine the chain has taken a fair amount of wear & tear as well.

Thats a good point! I had a look at the cassette and that seems ok...I was going to change the chain when it drys out a bit...

You got a chain wear tool? If not then buy one. It will pay for itself by not wearing out the cassette which can be 3 - 5x cost of a chain.

Back