Tips for removing a sheered brake nipple

Put in drill press and drill it out. Should be relatively easy as drill will centre itself due to hole.

If there is enough nipple showing, make a slot with saw/dremel and try to unscrew after applying plusgas. Probs wont work as it is weakener due to drlled hole.

If you get stuck, post to me and i will drill it out, if it is shimano, then can tidy up thread if required, they use M6. PS no guarantees but if i fail, chances are youd have failed too , just dont mangle it too much as it makes it harder to centre the drill,

Eazee outs are wonderful in theory until they snap. The nipple has bottomed out, thats how it seals so wilk be in v. tifht, oersonally i wouldnt risk eezy out (and i aint drilling it out should you attempt and fail)

Re:

I will admit I didn't think about sticking it in the drill press, beats faffing with easy outs that always snap on me, worst that happens is that I have to drill and tap it to the next size up and use a nipple of a motorcycle or a car.

02gf74":35npfn1x said:
Eazee outs are wonderful in theory until they snap. The nipple has bottomed out, thats how it seals so wilk be in v. tifht, oersonally i wouldnt risk eezy out (and i aint drilling it out should you attempt and fail)

Well, I've got them out for people using EZ outs, on a couple of occasions, but that's neither here nor there.

Not all EZ outs are created equal either - the best IMHO are made by Knipex and are chrome vanadium and straight flute, so you can use them with LH or RH threads and on thin wall sections - the cheap £10 a set ones are carbon steel and snap as soon as you look at them, especially the small sizes.

But you still need to use feel and discretion and know when it's just not going to work.

Edit - These

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back