Folding bike recommendations - Airnimal?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Never thought these words would come from me, but my office is relocating yet further away and once I get from my house to London Bridge, I've still a bit of a journey.

I'm thinking that a folding bike might be an idea but as a rule I hate them but wondering if there are any good ones out there worth looking at?

I despise the scaffold pole Brompton so they are out, but i don't know what else to look at. I think i saw a titanium one the other day which looked great but I didn't catch the brand.

If I am going to have to lower myself to this level, I would prefer to do it in style so what options are there?

Re: Folding bike recommendations please

Avoid the cheapies - they are very flexible

Brompton is ubiquitous because it works. It is also a thoroughly British company and you dont require a beard.

Dahon are now owned by Trek and although not as compact as Brompton when folded, they are very sturdy and very fast.

cadenza_open.jpg

How's about a Moulton if you think a Brompton is beneath your (somewhat misplaced) contempt?

Moulton_AM202_testride_Small.jpg

I don't think Brompton is beneath me, I just don't want one beneath me as I just don't like them, can't say why exactly, hence looking for an alternative. Dahon I feel similarly about, I just think folding bikes could be better but at least some of their range look like biked when ridden. Maybe that's what I'm looking for?

Re:

i may have a dahon jack for sale as complete or just the frame,fork,headset,stem,bars with new folding mech and rear hanger

ishaw":35gmuama said:
I don't think Brompton is beneath me, I just don't want one beneath me as I just don't like them, can't say why exactly, hence looking for an alternative. Dahon I feel similarly about, I just think folding bikes could be better but at least some of their range look like biked when ridden. Maybe that's what I'm looking for?

The phraise 'moon on a stick' comes to mind.

The late 80's Montague/ Rudge Bi-fold isn't too bad. A bit long but Suntour and Tru-temper tubing as standard.

I did one in full XT for a laugh.

dsc00008_131.jpg

ishaw":3a617m7w said:
Dahon depends which model you buy. There's lots of cruddy knockoffs which haven't helped their reputation. (I like Dahons and still own 2)

But if I was wanting something a bit nippy, I'd look at a Xootr frameset and build it up with good components. http://www.xootr.com/swift-folding-bicycle-frame.html

silverSwift.jpg

Look at Tern also

Cheers for the suggestions. LGF, I actually don't mind that Dahon you had, might start investigating that. I've got components to throw at it in terms of upgrading. At least with that it looks as though you can run normal running gear rather than the Brompton specific stuff.

I've seen a nice one somewhere but can't recall the brand, has an odd set up at the rear (cassette is outside the drop out or something, and only has one rear stay) but they were very expensive.

Re:

It's true the Brompton is an ugly assed ungainly looking bike (I have one so I feel I can say this) - but there are good reasons for this.

1. The fold. You can fold a Brompton up in about 15 seconds - and it packs up small. It fits in most of the various luggage slots on busy commuter trains. The only thing it won't quite go in is the overhead rack. Shame because it almost looks like it would. If you are using/folding the thing several times a day, you'll grow to hate a bike that doesn't fold quickly/store well. Everyone I know who started off with a cheap folder for commuting - ended up with a Brompton after a year or two.

2. Comfort. The ungainly shape helps absorb a lot of the road shock in a way that other folders (particularly aluminium ones) don't. That's handy when you have such small wheels. It is a fun and speedy ride.

But if you are looking for reasons to hate the Brompton there are also plenty. Lots of the parts are bespoke, and blooming expensive to replace. Fixing a puncture on the back wheel requires dismantling the gears, and damn, those tyres are difficult to get off. After a couple of punctures, I practically filled that inner tube with anti-puncture gunk.

It's also very reflective of British design/build. The design is wonderful, clever, and eccentric - but the build quality is risible in places. I have sheared a chainring off the crankset in the past. I've heard others describe the handlebars as consumables in the same way other bike owners talk about tyres (never had a problem myself though). For the price, a lot of the parts feel a bit cheap - you'll find plastic and steel rather than alloy by default.

Back