chainset / gear / chain compatibility

lauralou23

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Please could someone tell me if the following combination is likely to work and if not what parts need changing? My mechanical knowledge is next to none as you may have gathered! :oops: :facepalm:

22/32/42 triple chain set
7 speed cassette
long cage Shimano Tourney RD-TZ50
Shimano Deore FD-M611 front mech
114 link chain

Cheers!

Can't see an issue so far, shifters will be the important bit though and I'm not certain what the cable pull is on road mechs.

Re:

Many thanks elpedro.

It's going on a Kona Blast MTB. I chose long cage as from research on the Internet, this type has the correct capacity according to the teeth/cog calculation formula I found.

The shifters are also Shimano tourney thumb shifters / rapid fire type job.

You will need to make sure your chain is a 7s or 8s version, so it is the right width for the teeth on the 7s cassette, a modern 9s or 10s chain will be too narrow

Other than that it should be fine

Don't get hung up on the number of links on the chain, you'll probably need to adjust the length anyway.

Re:

One thing I would suggest, if you're buying the parts, is to upgrade to a better quality of shifter - you'll find loads of really good ones on here for less money than new ones that are really cheap and nasty. Not saying Tourney won't work, but for the same money I'm sure you can do much better!

One more thought; what hub does your rear wheel have? Quite unusual to see 7speed now. 8, 9 and 10speed cassettes all fit on the same freehub (the bit of the hub that only spins in one direction), but 7speed is narrower.

Re:

My twopence worth.

9 speed chains are absolutely fine on a 7 speed set up, I have 9s chains on both my 3x7 bikes. The difference in width between a 7 and 9 speed chain is only about 0.4mm and doesn't seem to have any effect on shifting.

You can fit a 7 speed cassette on an 8/9 speed freehub body with a spacer: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cassette-Spac ... 418f3f77cf

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

elPedro666":3tdoen8y said:
One thing I would suggest, if you're buying the parts, is to upgrade to a better quality of shifter - you'll find loads of really good ones on here for less money than new ones that are really cheap and nasty. Not saying Tourney won't work, but for the same money I'm sure you can do much better!

One more thought; what hub does your rear wheel have? Quite unusual to see 7speed now. 8, 9 and 10speed cassettes all fit on the same freehub (the bit of the hub that only spins in one direction), but 7speed is narrower.

I've already bought the parts now elpedro. I bought some mavic wheels from eBay which came with a 7 speed cassette so I thought I'd just go with that as it was brand new according to the seller.

Many thanks to you all for your replies. I'm hoping to set it all up myself rather than having to take it to a bike shop for someone to do it at cost.

Re: Re:

lauralou23":30qg5pax said:
Many thanks to you all for your replies. I'm hoping to set it all up myself rather than having to take it to a bike shop for someone to do it at cost.

Good for you! There's probably a bunch of videos on YouTube, but I'm sure we'll be falling over each other to sound knowledgeable if you want any help ;)

Have you bought new cables yet? I'll be getting accused of being on commission for keep plugging these, but there are full sets of Jagwire (brake and gear, inner and outer) in lots of nice colours, on eBay for just over a fiver posted. Means you can do your brakes at the same time - might be surprised how much improvement you can get just from new cables! :D

Good luck!

Back