Pedal/shoe clip or not questionarama

Seca Blue

Retro Guru
Alright peeps,

I've joined here recently as I'm about to get back into bikes after a good 15 year break.
Aside from some minor tweaks, the bike is good to go. I'm missing some kit though, starting with footware and can't decide whether to go for clips or not. I've never used them in my life, but it just seems a bit naff to stick with the toe clips and straps that are on at the mo. I think it's all the lovely new kit out there that's sucking me in.
So shall I get some shoes that do both, or stick with the straps and not worry.

It's a fixed frame bike and will be used weekends only for I guess you'd say light to medium weight leisure riding.

Appreciate and throughs - cheers.

Incidentally, this is the bike:

tmmWTnT.jpg

That is a lovely looking bike, wouldn't worry too much about the changing pedals unless the ones you have are worn out, get out and ride that beauty

+1 for the bike.That paint job is fantastic.However. Go spd. Once you are used to them you will find they are far easier to get in and out of than clips and straps. Have even got the wife onto them now and she was never into cycling so it took some time to persuade her.I would start with them on an old bike that did not matter so much.They dont take long to get used to but until you do its easy to forget you are clipped in resulting in some OMG moments.Not something you want with the Roberts
Peter

Ha I love that. 2 answers, 2 opinions.
I know it's all just personal pref really. Happy to keep the pedals I guess, just curious if anyone even uses straps off road anymore and whether it's worth me buying shoes that do both, to future proof me, as I won't be able to justify buying 2 pairs.

And thanks for the comments on the bike - it looks pretty good for 20+ years old eh?

That's an absolute beauty. What a colour scheme.

Personally I've never fancied the idea of SPD. Practically everyone seems to go through a learning curve of crashing to the ground when they forget they are clipped in. I guess muscle memory soon kicks in though. Also I like the idea of being able to just get on and ride without having to worry about what shoes I'm wearing. If I want to ride in my wellies or walking boots then I want to be able to.

Clipped pedals also have their problems. In muddy wet conditions, they are often quite difficult to get into - and the clip has a tendency to get in the way and bash on rocks etc when your foot isn't strapped in. I've ripped one off in the past - but in London of all places.

Personally, I just use flat pedals nowadays. But if you have a pedal/shin contact moment, you certainly know about it to a greater or lesser degree depending on how long the pedal pins are.

But in all honesty, leave the bike as is - until the pedals wear out.

Clipless can be a pain as you always need to swop shoes

You could just remove the straps. That way youre not fully attached but your foot cannot slip off the pedal easily.

There is a middle ground . Have a look for some power grips. It is a diagonal strap that goes across the pedal and you enter the foot at a slight angle. Straightening the foot tightens the strap.I used these for a while and they are quite decent. Simply angle the foot out and the strap slackens and out you come. Not as convenient as spd but a whole lot better than clips and straps
Peter

Back