Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I was out on a group evening ride on Wednesday for a couple of hours , when at one point we were riding along an exposed ridge with a monsterous crosswind.
It felt to me like the 29er wheels were catching the wind more than a 26" bike would have done.
Has anyone else felt this, or am I being all rose tinted , again ? :roll:
Thoughts and experiences please

Mike

Re:

.....furthering THM's point still.... Obviously you only know about this anecdotally, at the pub for the after ride beers, as they would apparently have been so far ahead of you due to them being faster/smoother /whatever(!)

Re: Re:

unkleGsif":30e5ex63 said:
.....furthering THM's point still.... Obviously you only know about this anecdotally, at the pub for the after ride beers, as they would apparently have been so far ahead of you due to them being faster/smoother /whatever(!)

Really? Can you expand on that?
I don't drink, am in good shape and a smooth rider. There also wasn't a 26er in sight in the fast group that I was riding with

Mike

Re:

When I looked out back at the break of day all the 29ers had been blown over by the storm. Meanwhile, all the 26ers were still on their stands. If that isn't indisputable evidence I don't know what is.

I guess the effect might be noticeable, but without jumping from one to the other in controlled conditions like a wind tunnel with a blindfold on how could one be sure? Logic tells you there is an effect though. I certainly keep off naked motorbikes when the storms are in, being blown across into the oncoming traffic once or twice is lesson enough.

highlandsflyer":sj0ppht8 said:
When I looked out back at the break of day all the 29ers had been blown over by the storm. Meanwhile, all the 26ers were still on their stands. If that isn't indisputable evidence I don't know what is.

I guess the effect might be noticeable, but without jumping from one to the other in controlled conditions like a wind tunnel with a blindfold on how could one be sure? Logic tells you there is an effect though. I certainly keep off naked motorbikes when the storms are in, being blown across into the oncoming traffic once or twice is lesson enough.

Thanks for an intelligent reply hf , knew I could rely on you. Hope weather is not too severe for you mate ;)

Mike

Interesting, I would have expected the opposite, given the BB is lower in relation to the hubs the frame should be more stable.

Mike Muz 67":39vgcs0l said:
unkleGsif":39vgcs0l said:

I don't drink, am in good shape and a smooth rider. There also wasn't a 26er in sight in the fast group that I was riding with

Mike

Sarcasm only - based on 29ers being supposedly SO much faster ;)

unkleGsif":2hrdsrah said:
Mike Muz 67":2hrdsrah said:
unkleGsif":2hrdsrah said:

Mike

Sarcasm only - based on 29ers being supposedly SO much faster ;)

Should have realized that. Sarcasm being my middle name :LOL:

Well mine was pretty fast, riding with two or three others at the front for most of the ride. Til I got a flat :facepalm: . Thankfully they waited for me while I changed tubes. Them 29" tubes take forever to pump up with a mini pump that's ok for proper wheels

Mike

Mike, I had the same expirience with wind and 29 wheels. they tend to catch the wind more than smaller wheels. My 28 racer also holds the wind better, but this could also a matter of the design of the rims.

Back