suggestions for a fork for 2004 p7?

hurin76

Retrobike Rider
Anyone have a good suggestion for a fork for 2004 p7?

1.1/8 headset size non tapered steerer. Just about to pick this frame up..gotta alot of shot components on it so need to bring it back.

A nice UK frame like that deserves a nice UK fork, so I would say a Pace something or other, with ~80mm-100mm of travel (or a rigid RC31 carbon if you're going rigid of course)

Enjoy building it up and bringing it back to life!

I had a pace rc36 fork on another old mtb I had, was one of the bounciest forks I ever had. Is that feature of the rc36 or was it in need of a service to make it stiffer?

Before anyone comments, Pace fork = not very "imaginative" but it just seems right (as an ex-P7 owner!)

It sounds like you had the rebound damping set up way too soft, or too little oil, or the wrong weight oil in the damper. I had an RC36 on a P7 and after changing to a stiffer spring (which would have given a faster rebound) was able to increase the damping to make it all behave well again.

Re:

Pretty sure it would have been at least 100mm from new as my 2005 Evo4 was 130mm. Do you want it period correct? I wouldn't bother and would be after some of the last Pace RC39's or 2007-9 Fox Floats. Both should be available for £100/150. If you've got more cash look at some Rockshox Reba's from the last couple of years, any 100mm DT Swiss (ace) or Fox again.

Re:

V's or Disc btw?

SID
Reba
Fox F80/100
Pace RC36/38/39
Marzocchi Marathon

Pace is the only proper option for a pre-2007 Orange.

I'd go for an RC39 or a Pro-Class II.

Latest posts

Back