Old Hope brake servicing.

slow_matt

Old School Hero
Hello,

There is justbackdated for Pace, Gil for decals, does anyone service and change seals for old Hope brakes?

Matt :)

Re:

I've just rebuilt mine, don't mind doing it again? How bad are they? The seal kits are about £5 for a caliper set (was on my mini's) and £10 for a complete master cylinder set, I did need 2x caliper pistons

I stripped cleaned up the calipers, de-greased it all, new seals, light coating of grease for rebuild.

Let me know I'm happy to do it for you? If you supply the seals

Which brakes are they ? as some of the earlier ones you cant get parts like pistons for.
I think everything from minis on, you can get pistons for, but prior to that is highly unlikely.

Hi,

Thanks, they are XC4s, so the very old 4 pot closed system with the 'pro' lever. I've got the seal kit, bit simply cannot get the pistons out. I'm slowly learning to know my limits and fixing these are certainly beyond it. Lowslowandold, these are proper turds, I think an air line is required, I whacked my SID fork adaptor in and pumped with a track pump and no luck. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Matt

Re:

I had 2 seized in pots on my mini's, had to use and air and a small pair of mole grips to get them out, but they were really scored if want neo give it a go, drop me a pm sure I can help a fellow member out

You shouldnt ever need moles to get them out because once they move they will come out without issue. and the sides of the piston are critical in that they must remain clean,unblemished and completely undamaged, otherwise to the bin for them :?

Re:

I know but the reason it was stuck is they very heavily scored for some odd reason! Will get a picture and wouldn't come past the seals, so it popped up may be 3mm and so I had to get them out, and small mole grips where the only option. The other caliper came apart lovely and was done in May be 10mins all cleaned and built back up

Clamp one piston in place and use brake lever to push piston out, would need to refit piston to do the same for the other one.

Cafeful when using air line, piston can pop out at a million miles an hour so use cable tie, rag etc to limit range piston can travel. Also a few drops of brake fluid on piston to lubricate it hen fitting to new seals ..... but you knew that.

PS post photo of your scored piston, be interesting to see that. Was the scoring behind the seal, outside the seal would be dirt getting past the pads and into the gap.

Ive found scoring on the pistons was due primarily to people not cleaning them. Its a build of of grit on the leading edge which wears the outside of the piston
Tis a guess :) and a bit of experience from servicing them.

True about people not doing enough cleaning though. Takes 5 minutes and your brakes will love you forever

Hopes brakes legendary status did not come from the people who didnt service them :?.
C2's were the worst because you could dil the pistons out as the pad wore. With the outer leading sides of the piston continually exposed and not cleaned it ripped the hell out them. Then the owner would fit new pads and dial them back in again and all the grit on the scarred piston got dragged inside. Damaged pistons wont retract with fluidity so you shove em back in and rip the piston seat deep inside the caliper.

Even worse when they never cleaned then :shock: :shock:

You see, with the top of the piston proud and a build up of dirt/oil/road tar,grit.metal particles etc etc around it this wonderful little mixture goes to work on corroding the leading edge of the caliper around the the piston seat :?
When corroded enough it compromises the top of the seal. Calipers done then.

Real cyclists bikes are fking immaculate :? inside,outside and underside.

Back