2x8 or 1x9 - any preference, and why?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm thinking about swapping from 2x8 to 1x9 on my parkpre, for no particular reason

Who likes or dislikes 1x9, and why? Anything to watch out for?

Good point. I could do 1x8 quite easily, but it wouldn't give me quite the same range as a more modern 1x9. My 8 speed m739 rear mech is limited to 28 teeth at the rear, but I might be able to get a 30 or 32 to work.

I guess I like the look of modern SRAM 1x10 and 1x11, but can't stretch the budget to that!

Has anyone had any trouble dropping the chain from a single chainring with a rear mech without a clutch ?

Re:

Got 2 bikes with 2x8 setups and a single speeder.. One less shifter with 1x9, and you save some weight.. I have tried it, 1x8 setup, but like my 2x8 setup with lightweight bash better.. The thing is when you know you have gears, you always come to a point out riding, when you which you had one more.. how it was for me at least.. Now I use 22 and 24t grannys and 36t middle front, and 11-32 rear.. Perfect set up for me, no climb's impossible and enough heavy gears for the roads.. If you wan't your bike to be as "clean" as possible go for single speed and really learn how to ride it.. enjoy :)

foz":2jcgnnb4 said:
Has anyone had any trouble dropping the chain from a single chainring with a rear mech without a clutch ?

Yes, got a big deep scar from a brutal crash.. never going for that again.. Even on a commuter I wouldn't recommend it

:shock:

I have thought about using a non-clutch mech with a bullet Bros chain device...

I already have a SS mtb :)

I use that one for taking the kids out, but need gears for "proper" rides in the hills"

My son manages a single ring, with a standard (9sp) mech, using a NW chainring.

It's on an Azonic with 150mm forks and he rides hard.

Re:

I swapped from 2x9 to 1x10 in the summer, you can do it reasonably cheap!
Superstar narrow wide, shimano zee mech and shifter,slx/xt cassette plus chain.

I've got on with it well but there is no real improvement over a 2x set up just simpler and less clutter.

I think simplicity and less clutter is what I like about it will the dedicated 1x narrow-wide rings work with a standard 9 speed chain, or do they need a special chain?

foz":1z17jgqc said:
I think simplicity and less clutter is what I like about it will the dedicated 1x narrow-wide rings work with a standard 9 speed chain, or do they need a special chain?

Standard chain is fine!

Back