Opinions on a cracked Kona seat stay please

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've just picked up a full suss Kona off a friend to get me back on a mtb. Giving it a bit of a check over and notice a crack in one of the seat stays. A quick Google seems this was common on older Kona full suss frames. What best to do? It's doesn't seem too bad at the moment, but I'd want it to be safe. Could it be ground out and welded? Or safer bet to swap the bits on to another frame?

Any opinions/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Then rubbed the paint off to see if it was the metal or just the paint:

Not the best pic, apologies.

there's generally very little merit in repairing frames you have no fondness for

get in the FS section and buy a frame - the market is in the doldrums at the mo so you should be able to snag something for not much

Thanks for the replies. It's a 1998 Kona Manomano. Excellent that CRC have spares for old Kona's. Only bits they don't look to have is for this frame, d'oh. The temptation is just to buy a rigid frame and swap the parts across, however I may look in to getting the seatstay repaired too. Just seems a shame to scrap it :(

Re:

I doubt it would be economical to repair it tbh.
It makes more sense to move on to a new frame.

If you know someone who can tig al, then do az you suggested initially followrd by welding a syrip of curved al over it and the hole (strip would have a hole already drilled)

Back