Wheel building advice needed

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
im looking to build a set of spare wheels using xt m770 disc hubs and v brake mavic xc 717 rims so that I have a spare set of wheels I can use flexibly as/when a retro steed or modern bike needs fixing. I'm not sure on the spoke length/type I need though, so any advice on how I can work out what I need,and also tips on good spokes to use would be much appreciated.

I going to build the wheels myself, ive done a few in the distant past and not done a bad job imho, but not wanting to spend a lot as they will be spare wheels,just in case the need arises.

Thanks in advance.

Re:

I think if you tell CRC what your rims and hubs are they calculate the lengths for you, I am sure I have done this before :?

Thanks for the advice, might try that.might also try sleeping, but then again....

Re:

I built an XT wheel a month or so ago. I bought the spokes from ebay, it's the only place I
have bought spokes from. I think I only paid about eight quid for 32 double butted spokes.

I worked out the length as I was in my garage without internet, so no spoke calculator at
hand, there are plenty of online calculators but working it out from scratch is pretty easy.
If your lucky you will have a hub and rim in their databases, I never seem to and have to
measure them and work it out, or use an online calculator.

Dt swiss spokes.

Pretty sure dt swiss have a spoke length calculator on their website.

XC717 or XC717DISC ?
(not sure it amkes a difference as I think they are the same bead seat)
32 hole ?

If so 262 and 264mm are needed (263 would work in place of 264 iirc)

That is also what CRC used to build my 770 to XC717 (none disc setup)
It was cheaper for me to have CRC custom build them with DT Revolution spokes than it was for me to buy all three part separate.

DT or Wheelsmith spokes are the tradition retro ones (not that it matters here)
Sapim are another good make, and ACI are cheaper but should be perfectly fine for this use.

ebay's had good prices and even though it's a spare set I would still by Double Button spokes as they'ere quality hubs and rims.

Try CRC for prices but this chap is a good bloke selling them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DT-SWISS-COMP ... 35d4519251

or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACI-ALPINE-2- ... 7dcb9d6821

you'll need a bag of nipples too with them (not with CRC iirc)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks. I have the hubs (traded on here for them and they are nos and can run disc). Rims I got at a steal, again nos and so reckon it will work out cheaper for me to build than buying a new set. I'm still in two minds whether to build a dual purpose set of wheels or use the rims on a v specific set of wheels. Not sure which wheels to run when I get to building up the nuke proof reactor as I've got some nuke proof hubs laying about, and these rims would certainly work out quite nicely with those. Anyway, thanks for the advice, will be useful whichever direction I go in.

Back