The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Next year when the weather improves (Easter at earliest) I want to try out a four day three night one way tour. Perhaps the boss drops me and I ride back or ride out and get picked up. Self sufficient camping.

Thinking would be easy to use a two wheeled child trailer as they go for little money over the winter, or kit out a bike with racks and panniers. Never having done either, I'm looking for advice. Trailer appeals as weight pulled rather than carried.

Also how far is reasonable in a day? I would need to research sites and route etc based on possible distances.

Thanks guys. THM

Re:

Google "adventure cycling", I was reading up on stuff a few months ago and there's a couple of good forums etc to do some research on.

Personally I'd go for panniers over a trailer, but that's just me.

As for daily distance, probably not as far as you might think! but it all depends how fit you are and whether you want this to be a "holiday" or a test :LOL:

Re:

Get all of your camping / cooking / sleeping / riding kit together in a pile on the dining room floor and ask yourself what do I need to fit it all in? :shock: You'll probably have a bit of a cull though.

Re:

If the volume of stuff you took to Mayhem is anything to go buy i suggest contacting Sky for a support crew :LOL: :LOL:

I tend to use the space available. :LOL: already got a new mayhem tent!

The cheapskate in me like the converted two wheel kiddie trailer. Or just use as is. Panniers and racks would be pricey in comparison.

Three nights four days is the plan. Guv'nor has just approved it.

Will probably stuck to roads to get places then unload and explore a little was the thought.

Re:

Hi HM,

I have some brilliant memories cycle touring.

I would highly recommend a descent set of pannier bags & a strong 'blackburn rack'.

I used to tie the tent poles of my ridge tent to the top tube, every thing else on the rack.
Even though i had got every thing down to a minimum, the bike still weighed a ton.
The photo ive entered for 'potm' at that church gives you an idea of what i used to carry.., saying that, most of the weight i carried was camera equipment & tools...

Milage wise, if i was cycling from liverpool to somerset, visiting all the ruined castles etc on route, i would cover around 40 mile a day, if it was an all out slog to get there, then probably 60-80 mile per day, But i was in good shape back then :D
An old friend used to use a ruck sack, i wouldnt recommend it, its good to be able to just jump off your bike and get away from the weight at times...

I did this type of riding for many years, visiting/photographing and drawing ruins, if you need to know any thing or any recommendations , im very happy to help..

Red.

ps,

Just found this old photo of my first mtb, showing poles on the top tube.

1988 muddy fox courier by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Back