Modern Tyres on a Retro Bike

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all, I've been riding around Afan on my 97 Marin Rift Zone and having a ball. It's currently got 2.1 Continental Traffics on and they are frankly horrible. It's muddy and rocky around Afan, and with winter coming I think it's gonna stay that way around home (Manchestershire) what would you folks recommend to repla e them? Budget is a factor, I am not particularly flush right now, but I'd like something that rolls better and grips better in the mud and rocky bits if such a thing is possible.

Tyres are very subjective imo. I used conti mountain kings on my last few bikes but always felt there was probably something better out there (definitely much worst too!!)

Re: Re:

fridgehq":36rqpi77 said:
Best tyres I have used are Panaracer XC pro and I ride all year round

+ 1

Also Panaracer Trailrakers are good, cheap too if you look around :cool:

superstu":2kuklblo said:
Tyres are very subjective imo. I used conti mountain kings on my last few bikes but always felt there was probably something better out there (definitely much worst too!!)

Contenental X King chilli compound are my choice on most of my bike as great in the wet / shed mud pretty well and are really excellent in the dry.Just a great all rounder.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic are an OK wire tyre TBH.

Or Halo Choir Master if you want skinwalls at an OK price.

Local Territory!
good news is theres loads of choice still.
had good results from Maxxis Minion, Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Fire and others, tis subjective. :) reviews are worth a look. check CRC on one Merlin Wiggle etc etc.

Back