[Info?] Terry Dolan - Dedacciai EOM 16.5

AndreasVH

Retro Newbie
Hello!

Has anyone seen this frame before? I´ve Googled, but have yet to find any information about it. Sorry about the crappy pic, but a photographer friend will take some better ones next week. I e-mailed Dolan Bikes the other day, but no reply yet.

It is made of Dedacciai EOM 16.5 steel with carbon seat stays. I never checked the weight, but it´s the lightest steel frame I have ever come across. It has a 1" threadless headset with an Alpina fork.

A friend of mine picked it up on Ebay a year or so ago, but never got around to building it up so he made me a good deal. I used the Ultegra 6600 groupset and Mavic wheels that were left over after I upgraded my roadie then added some Ritchey parts and the Brooks saddle. It rides well, but unfortunately it seems impossible to use wider tires than 23 mm because they rub against the clamp for the front mech. I might try to find a skinnier clamp and squeeze in 25s in the spring.

Cheers,
// Andreas - Stockholm, Sweden

TDolan_zpsd647c7f8.jpg

Terry Dolan timeline: originally made bikes under the Cougar brand. Cougar became very big in part because of the Chris Boardman link. Too big and money men took brand over, and Cougar was sold. Ended up with a NE based frame builder, Paul Donaghue (?), before disappearing.
Terry started making bikes again under Terry Dolan label. These are known as the signature bikes, which is what you have. Company got bigger and morphed into Dolan, outsourcing frame building on a much bigger scale to the far east.
The signature series were also far east built I believe.

Terry still builds some frames, but not for us mere mortals I'm afraid. Often building frames that get rebadged for the pro peleton.

'M part front mech clamps are thin and cheap.nice frame. down tube looks interesting.
im gonna de badge my khamsins.

Terry's frames are notorious for their race geometry and clearance, so unless you have a specific winter trainer frame expect to fit the skinniest of skinny tyres?

I had a really nice Cougar frame for many years, which I killed in an altercation with a wall. I've now got 2 Dolans. I had problems fitting the rear brake to my posh carbon Dolan, so phoned up for advice. Someone will phone you back sir. 15 minutes later Terry phoned, was on the phone for a good 40 minutes reminiscing about building Cougar frames. Nice chap.

Re:

^^ Thanks for the replies! Nothing from Dolan yet, so I might give them a friendly reminder soon.

I did find a really thin carbon clamp and mounted a pair of folding Rubino Pro 25 mm with plenty of room. That was probably because the tires turned out to be 23.4 mm on my Ksyriums when I measured... :D I also have a pair of Grand Bois 26 mm that would be nice to try on this bike.

When I get the studio shots I´ll post one in the Reader´s bikes part of the forum instead.
http://instagram.com/p/vB9yrenxc3/

Also: a friend and I just signed up for the Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive in April. Feels like a nice opportunity to use bike bike, don´t you think? This will be my first time riding a bike in the UK!

// Andreas

i see, thats how they do those studio shots,whacking great roll of wallpaper :D
and doctor out the stands,thought so..
yeah the 'new forest' is a great place,an unusual landscape and the tarmac not too bad
car speed well restricted, the pony's have priority there.
bueleigh[sp] motor museum and grounds is alright.they have a car there,the headlights
are candle powered .

Back