Rawing/polishing aluminium frames... Thoughts and process?

konaben82

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi everyone

I've been after a 14.5 inch Zaskar for years and when ever one comes up I don't have the funds!!! A few days ago a 2001 Zaskar race in 14.5 popped up and I managed to sort out a trade! - now I know it's not the most desirable model as it's not MEGA OLD :LOL: but it will do for me, I'm not keen on the paint though and would like to raw it/ polish it and give it an older look, new decals etc

Here is how it looks at the moment, I'll be looking to move the chainset on if anyone is interested?

What would be the best/cheapest way to remove all the paint? I've heard that nitromors isn't as good as it used to be? Is there another paint stripper out there which will remove it? ...or another way of getting it off without spending 293746 hours with sand paper...?

Forget this now, it's been put in the loft for a rainy day :)

Cheers

Ben

Hey Ben, What kind of finish are you after? If its Ball Burnished its going to be a lot of work and will involve finding a place to get it blasted. Not sure if theres anywhere in the UK that will be able to do it. Usually the finish under the paint is just a dull alloy finish i think... What ever you decide i think its going to be a labour of love...

I use Synstryp.
You want to know my thought's? Ride it till the paint
gets really tatty and then repaint it, if you can't stand tatty paint.

I'm kind of in 2 minds, it's not that bad to look at but I just prefer the polished look...

I probably won't do anything with it till the new year as I have a broken hand at the moment, plus I want to hear opinions and thoughts on here :)

The paint work looks good plus is a pretty combination of red and black with some grey and white thrown in.

Will it polish up nicely and stay that way, who knows.

My opinion is dont waste your time, instead ride it when your hand is complete.

Re:

dont strip it one of the nicer paint jobs tbh non of this polishing stuff

u know thats the small 16 inch one not the 14.5 dont u ?

hold on ill upload a pic of my 3 showing the xs / s /m

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,031
That paint work is looking too good to strip and by the time you repaint, strip/polish or powdercoat you will easily spend another £40 or more so I would really consider trading it on especially since you are not riding at the moment.

Re:

glad the advice was of help mate, the frame looks tidy and i think it would be a shame to strip it. if its a ball burnished frame your after then keep an eye out and one will come along :)

sean

Back