What cyclocross tyres for mud.

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So after two very very muddy training sessions on the conti CX race tyres resulting in me spending time wallowing around with my face in the mud, I need some new tyres. I would like a set of challenge limus 33 open, but at around £100 a set and another £20 for the latex tubes, thats not going to happen.

So Im looking at Clement Crusade PDX or the Vittoria Cross XM Pro tyre. Has anyone had any real world used from either of these tyers as they both get very good reviews online?

Any other recommendations welcome.

Cheers Brian.

Re:

I've run XM tubulars - they're OK on the rear but lack of centre knobs means they don't steer too well on the front so I would go for the PDX purely on that basis.

Running the tyers that came on the bike Conti Cyclocross Race, they are ok in the dry and gravel, but in the wet and mud they are shocking.

Yep that's the ones. Do you have the black chilli compound version or just the folding version?

Cheers

Re:

Just the basic wired version were about 20 a piece in both models

if u have the money and can justify it then clements are aparently great not usws them myself

I run the Mud2s tubeless and they are brilliant in the filth but fragile on anything sharp and rocky.
I also really like Hutchinson cross tyres. The Toro is a good allrounder that does fine in the mud.
You're right, the revived Clement brand gets some good comments - bloke in Singletrack mag was raving about the PDX.
Despite loving Geax/Vittoria tyres on the mountain bike I've never been a fan of their cross tyres.

Well I have just ordered a set of Clements PDX, now have decided if I try and run them tubeless or with latex tubes. There is mixed reviews on getting them to run tubeless so in two minds.....

Back