putting back together a SRAM ESP 9.0 rear mech

Remko

Senior Retro Guru
Hi,
I'm in the pre-'97 section usually but I've got a newish ESP 9.0 rear mech that's giving me a light headache, so I'm putting a question here.
I wanted to clean this rear mech so I took it apart. But the ESP stuff is new to me. It was a bit of a surprise that with loosening the upper pulley, the complete cage and spring came loose.
I've cleaned all parts and wanted to put the thing together again. This is simple, but not easy, since the spring tension is very strong. I'm wondering if I'm doning things in the right order.

So the question: has anyone done this job before?
I'm very interested. The mech's almost new so it would be nice to put it back together again.

Thanks very much,
Remko

Re:

Hi Remko,

I had one of these apart a while ago. Could you post a picture of which bit you're referring to mate.

Mike

Re:

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay. In the pics below you can see the mounting of the cage.
To me it seems that I should wind up the spring much more than shown in the pics.
Maybe there's a working order to wind it up easily. Shouldn't be too complicated :oops: :?

the upper rotation point where the spring fits in and where the upper pulley is mounted on

the spring

the spring plate

The cage

Only little tension on the spring

Attachments

• ESP 01.jpg
    ESP 01.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 328
  • ESP 02.jpg
    ESP 02.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 328
  • ESP 03.jpg
    ESP 03.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 328
  • ESP 04.jpg
    ESP 04.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 328
  • ESP 05.jpg
    ESP 05.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 328
Re:

Hi Remko,

It sounds like the spring has come out of the hole in the mech body and the little tension in it is because the spring is being squashed a bit.
I had the same problem when I re-assembled mine. I found it easier to put back together with the spring located fully in the plate and just enough in the body to stop it slipping out of the hole, then twisting it around the body until the stops lined up, then pushing them together, if that makes sense.

Mike

Back