Reba Team 100mm how much travel?

Slimtim

Retro Guru
I have a nice set of these forks which have no known issues (apart from the rebound adjuster knob won't turn). They have poploc, dual air and are of a vintage which can also take V brakes.

Anyway, the maximum travel I can achieve is 65mm (even after releasing all of the air from both chambers). Is this normal?

I have checked all online resources and can't find a solution.

The only half suggestion I have found is that there might be too much fluid in the other fork leg. Possible?

Your help appreciated.

I can't remember if it relates to fox or rs forks, but I think I read somewhere that if the oil gets past the seals within the leg it reduces the travel as the oil prevents the stanchions from achieving their full travel. Pretty sure it was rs forks and if you rink about it, if the lower legs fill with fluid, there is nowhere for the stanchions to move into.

Re:

Too much oil in the damper could cause it. Otherwise, what ishaw said, an internal seal is allowing air or oil to get where it shouldn't be. But I'd expect it to pop a dust seal if it was on the air side.

Doubt it's anything taking apart and putting a service kit in wouldn't sort out. Unless the fork has never been serviced in its life, in which case it's probably shagged anyway.

I added extra spacers to my Reba's left-hand leg to reduce the travel to 60mm, so it is possible that the fork does indeed have less travel than RS advertises. However the rebound know not working points to a problem in the right-hand leg indeed.

Give it an overhaul, all you have to lose is the amount of money you spend on the service kit and a few hours.

Back