Selling bikes at train stations

getin

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Would you meet someone at a train-station to sell you bike for cash from an ebay buyer? Reason I ask is because I have a bike for sale on ebay and was asked if I would meet at my local station and he would pay me cash. My first thought was NO, not normally how I do business, only asking 200quid. he gave me his number so maybe I should ring his to find out how genuine he is.

No.
They'll just mark it as goods not received.
Then you lose money and bike.
And you have no proof of postage.

mattr":mxkzik9s said:
No.

He could lose the dough if payed for by paypal, but even Ebay can see no payment has been made by pp.

mattr":2ksuaz94 said:
No.
That only applies if buyer pays with Paypal
For cash sales, eBay don't offer any protection

Interesting so if he doesn't click buy now and I end the listing once he pays me that should be ok. But if he Does click buy now and pays me cash he still has all the power to get a refund?

mattr":1nem6t1g said:
No.

Interesting point, I had the same worry when someone paid with paypal and then wanted to pick the bike up. Turns out he was a nice bloke and I showed him around and then casually said, "how about a picture with your new bike?"

Problem solved.

But in the OP's scenario if the buyer pays cash then ebay will not have anyway to refund money as there was no paypal transaction. I guess the cash could still be phony?

lewisfoto":24gluvbb said:
I guess the cash could still be phony?

Or you could get beaten up at a train station for a £200 bike - eBay's full of peril :D

Provided the buyer pays cash, eBay don't offer any protection so make it clear before he travels that you will only accept cash.
I've met up with loads of buyers in supermarket car parks etc, never had any comeback on eBay

Back