Hope XC rear hub bearings?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
went to check my bike over earlier and noticed that the rear hub axle seems to be seized almost solid, although the freehub still spins quite easily and sounds fine.

The hub is a Hope XC rear hub.

I'm guessing the bearings have died, so time for some new ones.
On the Hope website it shows 4 bearings in an exploded view, but on the parts list it only lists 3 bearings.

I know the bearings I need are 6001 2RS, but do I need 3? or 4? or what?

Anyone done this before?

Re:

Defiantly 4
Two in the shell either side
Two in the freehub body.

Its an error in the document (part 3).

Same design as the Ti-Glide if you've ever done one of them.

Hardest job is getting the bearings out of the freehub body.

Re:

Thanks, varying prices/quality of bearings to choose from.
I've seen a few guides on changing the bearings, I'll ask my LBS how much they charge, May be a safer option.

If you do decide to DIY it, pop to your local bearing factor, you can typically get the bearings for a couple of quid each, even top quality ones like SKF or NSK.

Re:

I dropped the wheel off at my LBS on Thursday, should be ready early next week.

If I'd DIY'd it the bearings would have taken till after the weekend to arrive, I'm away from home just now so Dont have access to all my tools, bench vice etc, it would have been a ballache of a job or I'd have damaged something.
This is one of those rare times when I am happy to pay someone else to get their hands dirty and do the work.

I did look at a good guide, will see if I can find it again, but there's some good videos on YouTube too.

It would be great if you can find the guide thanks.

Always good to keep the lbs going as well.

Re:

Gah!! got a call from the bike shop this morning, freehub and axle are well and truly seized solid, they said they were soaking it all in penetrating oil but might have to give it "a fair whack" to separate the parts (always my preferred method :D ) but said they may damage it in doing so, just checking with me that it was ok to use brute force in light of the possible consequences.

They also said the parts (I assume freehub body & axle) are discontinued by Hope, can anyone confirm this? I thought Hope kept stocks of parts dating back decades??
It's a Hope XC rear hub, 6-bolt disc type.

If it's true, and they can't fix it, then I'll be left with a nice Hope hub shell ornament and a rim needing a new hub :(

They don't have any, well they don't distribute them. Though a few on here may have axles and bits.

But to be honest it shouldn't brake and a big fecking of whack is what they need sometimes.
Slightly more scary on Ti-Glide as, well you never know if the flange may come off, muHAHAHAHA.

Once the bearing s are out it'll all be smooth running.

The only real bit that get worn is the pawls and maybe the ratchet ring but they tend to still work fine.

Back