Bontrager hub service

mk1Matt

Retro Guru
I'm still using the original wheels on my 2000 Klein Adroit Race. The rims and hubs are Bontrager "Race Modified"

Now I've started riding the bike a fair bit, things are wearing out - the most recent being the rear hub. It's making a nasty clicking type noise every revolution, and when spinning the axle by hand I can tell the bearings aren't very smooth.

I've taken the freehub off and can see that it's got cartridge type bearings. Does anyone have a how-to on changing them, or alternatively does anyone know where I can send it for a service?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

mk1Matt":3vr81689 said:
I'm still using the original wheels on my 2000 Klein Adroit Race. The rims and hubs are Bontrager "Race Modified"

Now I've started riding the bike a fair bit, things are wearing out - the most recent being the rear hub. It's making a nasty clicking type noise every revolution, and when spinning the axle by hand I can tell the bearings aren't very smooth.

I've taken the freehub off and can see that it's got cartridge type bearings. Does anyone have a how-to on changing them, or alternatively does anyone know where I can send it for a service?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Hi mate not quite related but I have some 2010 Bonty hubs that recently had the rear bearings replaced. In my case each bearing race was about a tenner and the rear hub had 4! Most bikes shops should be able to cope with it. To do it yourself requires a press tool to get the bearings seated, didn't look to see how much this would be though....

Doug
i

The hub will probably just knock apart and then you press new bearings in. However, Bontrager did (and do) use a lot of DT Swiss hubs and sometimes you need specific tools to work on them - I'm not familiar with Race hubs as old as your's so couldn't say. The bearings will be standard bearings you can get from any engineering type spot that sells bearings. It's very common for rear hubs to have four bearings (two in the hub shell, two in the freehub). If you need anything other than bearings Trek will probably have the bits - for example, if the hub is a DT Onyx (Trek used these a lot) you'll have to get the weird needle bearing to get it running smoothly. Anyway, none of this will be a problem for any LBS that's been around for longer than a few weeks, and Trek are very good on support but you'll have to go through one of their dealers.

Back