disc brake mountings

sparkiegaz

Senior Retro Guru
hi all
well im sure some one is going to know answer to this,,,im building a merlin 2003 frame from fellow retrobiker, decided to take a set of manitou skareb forks that i got in 2003 and put these onto frame all good so far. its got xtr m960 groupset ,,,,,,im pretty sure it is,,,well this came with wheels and rotors which went into forks ok,,now the problem the mountings for the manitou forks are on the back of the legs ,,originally had hope calliper bolted onto them,,,,the newer xtr calliper ,,the bolt goes into leg directly facing away from you ,,are there adaptor plates, :facepalm: :facepalm: :roll: ile post picture as my words may be off ,,,thanks for help... :oops:

Re:

do you mean that the forks are Post Mount (PM) ie looking from behind the bolt goes straight through the disc caliper and into the fork leg? My Hope brakes are Post Mount, so I imagine that this is what you mean.

And the new calipers are International Standard (IS) mount? ie they need the bolts to go in at 90 degrees to the fork legs?

You can get PM-->IS adapters

Re:

something like this:
652938d1321195145-xtr-975-brake-adapter-help-caliper-manitou-fork-post-mount-100_8670.jpg

Post Mount to IS mount adapter...

shimano-adapter-for-international-standard-type-calliper-for-front-180-mm-post-type-fork-mount-smmaf180sp-IMG20026.jpg

Loads on eBay, just find one to suit your disc rotor size ;)

Yep just used the google machine found some,,, that's good wanted to leave the 2003 forks on her,,,if poss so 160 mm disc. Thanks again

You may not be able to go with 160 mm disc, definitely not with fox forks, due to clrarance, aldo the 160 adapter is much less common, cant recall who makes one.

180 disc is fine.

02gf74":da1fhanz said:
You may not be able to go with 160 mm disc, definitely not with fox forks, due to clrarance, aldo the 160 adapter is much less common, cant recall who makes one.

180 disc is fine.
Hi feller no manitou forks 2003 they have mounts on rear.. I ordered a shimano one for 160 disc. Have to see weather it fits or not..fingers crossed :?

Well I ordered one for 160 mm disc, didn't fit :LOL: didn't think it would :facepalm: have another look tomorrow hey managed to put saddle on and rear brake tho so not to bad,,,

Back