First Single Speed Build

Danny Boy

Dirt Disciple
Claude Butler frame and forks rescued from a skip, after a while thought great opportunity to loose the gears and so here is the finished product.

Attachments

• 015 (6).JPG
    015 (6).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 488
Re:

Argh! We can't see the single speed thing in your pic!

Looks like you're running 2 rings up front? And from here it looks like a cassette on the rear???

Re:

Indeed it is a cassette, got everything lined up just right and wanted to see how a bike with no gears suits me before going down the Dmr chain tensioner route (although would shed a fair bit of weight from the bike in doing so).

Re:

Ah, so it's a geared bike, but you only use one gear? :?

My last single speed had single sprocket at the rear, and I kept the rear mech but aligned it to the sprocket using the upper & lower limit screws, as good a chain tensioner as you'll find, and no expense either ;)

Interesting idea the screws were long enough to fix the mech in one position?

And you did away with rear shifter and cable?

The other way to set the rear mech is to get the end of an old gear cable.
Poke it through so that the cable nipple sits inside the cable adjuster, clamp the cable normally.
Use the adjuster to set the mech in the right position

Re:

Yeah thought id try the limit screw idea as was told that also by a local bike shop, seemed ok, however have since done the bit of cable into the adjuster and that keeps it all nice and tensioned, both ideas are great if your learning as you go. The low maintence of no gears is very refreshing also!

Back