Just built a 29'er. Will I ever ride on 26" wheels again?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I am just starting to find out about the advantages (?) of this new fangled 29'er malarkey, having just finished building mine last weekend. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=304562

Both my son and daughter are already converts and both are telling me that my beautiful British Steel 26" mtb's are redundant. :evil:

So what say you 29'er riders.

Re:

Steel is real, 26" till I die! :twisted:

Seriously, what's so good about 29'ers?

If you mainly ride xc, then perhaps I could see the advantages, but isn't 29" being eclipsed by 650b or whatever these days?

Re:

I mainly ride xc and trails, so the advantage is that it is a very fast, smooth and swooshy (it's a real word, honest) ride, it is also easier in a slightly indescribable way, on climbs.

My feeling is that on tight twisty single track, a 29'er will simply be too slow in changing direction / reacting to steering input. I also think the wheels are a little spindly a delicate for DH and jumping disciplines, but I'd like to get some opinions from anyone who has been riding both for a while.

"Steel is Real", absolutely bl**dy right!

I may try one one day soon, but I, will build a steel one. Just out of curiosity you understand.

Re:

That was my original plan about a year and a half ago, but the guy with the demo bike never showed up.

The History Man":2hr0ew0k said:
If yours is 19 what would I need then? 20? 21?
Depends how close you want the top tube to...um, the jewels.

Not sure how big 29'er go. Also if you went for a less aggressive frame design then a 21" would probably be good.

With the KTM and also Jon's new carbon frame, I seriously doubt you could get a seat post long enough.

Adrian, Fat is 'kool' but for much younger and fitter men than me.

As light as a light things that's just been on a crash diet is what I need.

Back