slammed stem

simonlovell99

Senior Retro Guru
Is it ok to do slammed stem with the stem against the bearing race, as my steerer is 178mm and got a low stack headset. if i put the bearing top cap on (5mm). then the distance between the top of the steerer and top of stem would be 7mm and the top bolt wouldnt clamp the steerer

If you still keep the wedge expander, i would say yes, since the top cover of the headset is only there for protection. It won't look good and if you ride in wet and muddy conditions you'll get water and crap in your bearings but technically speaking the headset can work without the bearing top cap. Are you using the lowest stack headset possible?
that one would be the crank brothers cobalt or iodine headset (preferably the stainless version).

Crank Brothers directset SL has a stack height of 20.56mm combined. Cane Creek S3 has something around 27.4mm stack height. The difference of 7 mm would be more than enough to run a regular setup on your fork. I'm assuming we're talking 1 1/8 threadless here. Maybe a new headset would be a more permanent solution.

yeah, i did research about headset matches and the crank brothers headsets are not great . so i just stick with the cane creek s3 as i know their stuff lasts. thanks anyway

Re:

Yes, if you have no room for spacers, or prefer the stem as low as possible, then just put the stem directly above the headset top race, no spacers required.

Back