Hope floating rotors - are they all different ....

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
.... or is it just marketing?

I have a set that I have recently discovered are on sale at CRC as 'Hope mono 4 saw disc rotors'. I'm planning on using them with some hope tech V2/V4 brakes, but having seen that CRC also sell 'Hope V2' and 'V4' rotors amongst others, do I need to rethink, or will I be fine with my intended plan (although I am looking to get a blue set instead of the gold ones I have).

Cheers, so the hope tech brakes will need the v2 rotors then? I'm new to the modern world of biking, so learning as I go. Looking at the pics on CRC, the rotor design and pattern looks the same, so is the only way to tell them apart the rotor thickness, or are they marked up in some way?

The thickness is subtle, but the braking surface is also wider. The V2 rotors should also be marked 'V2 only'.

Get the vented ones for proper £££ and bling!

Vented do look good but im trying to kit out my bike with affordable gear first, hopefully using and abusing, then I might stump up for something more.

Re:

As I understood it V rotors are for Tech V brakes , not mono's M4's Tech 2's etc,Tech V 's are not common , Mono's/m4/mini's with either original lever, tech lever or tech 2 lever all use the normal (solid or floating) hope rotors, unless you have Tech V brakes you shouldn't be looking at V rotors as they are only designed to be used with the Tech V brakes (V is for vented I believe). All this info is available on the Hope website btw.
Anything WITHOUT a V in it (Mono, M4, M6, Tech 2 Tech 4 etc) uses solid or non vented floating rotors, anything with a V in it (V2, V4) uses V rotors , simple and obvious really .
Matthew

Thanks, seems simple and obvious now, I'm new to this modern stuff so learning as I go. So basically as I have a set of hope tech v2 and v4 callipers, I need the vented discs. Ouch, that's going to cost me I think.

Are there any differences between the v2 and v4 rotors aside from price. V2 seem a whole lot cheaper. Would I be ok in running a v2 rotor on a v4 calliper?

Re:

What brakes is it that you have exactly?
I have some Hope Tech V2 Evo brakes and found that I had to use V2/Moto discs, the pad contact area on the V2 calipers is slightly bigger than normal calipers.
My V2 brakes came with Hope V2/moto floating rotors, which are the right width for the calipers and also slightly thicker than regular discs.
You could also use the Hope vented discs, but they are bloody expensive.

So, if you have Hope V2/V4 calipers then you'll need to use Hope V2/4/Moto floating or vented discs, from my experience.

Thanks, I believe my brakes are v4 on the front and v2 on the rear. Not exactly sure of the year, but looking at the hope site, they aren't the current year based on the lever configuration.

Back